Your own or store bought

Started by HCT, July 26, 2005, 07:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Do most of you fellas and gals make your own brines and cures or do you spend the $$$. I've never used store bought, always made my own. What do you feel is better to use. Or is it just the diversity of the store bought.

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

MallardWacker

I'm a cheap fart.  Build your own, too easy.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

Brines are simply made at home. There are many many recipes on line now. For curing, say with a dry cure I would find some "Mortons Tender quick" I have some High Mountain Buck board Bacon cure that works fine but the bacon I made with the mortons came out a lot better.

Habanero Smoker

When I cure, I make my own cures using Morton's Tender Quick. I also make my own brines - though I have never seen a commercially made brine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Okay HS, this is all new to me, brines, cures, it's all russian to me. But the cures are the packages that you buy. And the brines are what I soak my jerky in. (rated x)

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
probably the biggest"

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mickey</i>
<br /> (rated x)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

???

Phone Guy

I am no expert but a cure has sodium nitrate or sodiun nitrite most of the time. Some cure with just a salt and sugar mixture.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mickey</i>
<br />Okay HS, this is all new to me, brines, cures, it's all russian to me. But the cures are the packages that you buy. And the brines are what I soak my jerky in. (rated x)

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There are dry cures and wet cures. A brine can also be a cure; depending on the volume of salt, and/or if the brine also contains sodium nitrite, or in combination with sodium nitrate. But I mostly use brines to help poultry retain moisture and add flavor. Therefore the brines I make the sodium level is much less then what you would use in a cure.

Just want to add that there are many recipes on the net in which you can use Morton's Tender Quick to make your own cures; both dry and wet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Is that Mortons Tender quick the same as DQ Curing salt?

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

I'm somewhat of a novice in curing, but I can answer this. DQ is not the same as Morton's Tender Quick, but you can obtain the recipes for that specific cure. DQ is the same as Prague Powder #1. Morton's Quick Tender is a cure that acts faster, because it also has sodium nitrate in it, so the amount you would use in a dry cure or rub will be different. Some do not like to use Morton's because it does contain sodium nitrate, but I like it because I don't have a lot of refrigerator space, and it cures much faster then DQ or Prague Powder #1.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Thanks, HS.

Mickey

LABS RULE!!!  

God bless our wildlife!
probably the biggest"

MallardWacker

Mickey,

Go to Butcher & Packer.  They have some great dry rub curing salts.  My favorite place to go and cheap$$$.

CLICK HERE&gt;&gt;&gt;Butcher and Packer

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...