• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Tongue and heart?

Started by Monch, December 11, 2010, 07:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monch

All,

When picking up our 1/4 beef, I was offered the tongue and the heart.

I said yes to both.

My thought for the tongue, at least, is brining and smoking.

Has anyone had any experience/good luck with these two items.

Want to make them as delicious as possible.

Regards from blizzardy Madison, Wisc.

Tenpoint5

Smoke em then make pickled heart and tongue!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

In my area I find beef tongue all the time in regular markets. The following is a link that discusses beef tongue. I haven't tried beef heart yet.

Smoked Beef Tongue

Read further down in the post and there is a link to a video on how to peel the tongue, if you want to peel it prior to smoking/cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

I've corned tongue and it is great thinly sliced after cooking.  Makes great lunch meat.  When I was a poor student we used to stuff hearts with sausage and bread stuffing much like a turkey and then braise them.  Cheap and good.  Just don't under cook. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

wkahler

Habanero did you ever post a refined recipe?  I noticed you said you had a cold when posting that!!  If you have a completed recipe and could shoot it to me on my e-mail...........I think this might be something for me and my father in law to try!!! [email protected]
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

watchdog56

I have not done or eaten tongue but from what my dad and friend have told me if you boil the tongue(don't know for how long) then you pull the skin off and it makes great lunch meat. So I am thinking you might want to take the skin off before smoking.

Habanero Smoker

wkahler;

After getting over my cold, when I tasted eat tongue I was satisfied with the results. The tips were a little dry, so what I plan to do in the future is to fold the thin end under and tie it, if it is possible.  Also both sauces go well with either tongue. I prefer is slice thinly and served cold. If you want to make a sandwich I would go with a flat bread or serve it like Pachanga mentioned in the other thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Tacos de Lingua (Lengua) are highly recommended.  I can't make them here at the house - tongue is not allowed in my house - by order of the BOSS.  But I do sneak off to a Mexican restaurant (the only one around here to cook them) and have a hit or two along with a big piping hot bowl of menudo. 

To smoke (have not done, but have had it smoked) my buddies back home, would simmer one in water with onions, carrots, celery, pepper till almost done.  Then cool a bit and peel it, take the bone of the back in (if it has one) cut the gristle off - then season it and put into smoker. 

Another mexican dish I would occassionally have would be stewed tongue.  A little mexican man had a restaurant in his garage in the back of his house a few blocks from ours.  It looked like he did the simmering and peeling thing, then sliced it into thick slices 3/4 to 1" thick and then put it in with canned tomatoes, onions, peppers, garlic and capers and simmered until falling apart. 

Frankly unless you know what it is you would think you were eating roast beef. 

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I haven't tried braising first then smoking. I just assumed it would not take on much smoke. I think that is what I will do next time. That will make peeling a lot easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Been many ages ago, but I think they seasoned it up real well with salt and pepper before smoking. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

I'll definately give it a go. This thread has got me wanting some beef tongue again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.