• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Are you a Meat Hoarder?

Started by Caribou, December 15, 2010, 05:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Ever watch that show on A&E called "Hoarders"?
I think I have that problem but not with my house getting cluttered but in my freezers.

I picked up my side of beef yesterday, added that to last year's beef that we haven't finished yet.
And the two deer we got last month. One in each freezer.

Went shopping today, saw whole chickens on sale for 68 cents a pound, had to get a few of those.
Did I mention there are only 3 people in our family?

I can't be the only one on the forum that does this.  :D
Any other meat hoarders ready to confess?
Carolyn

GusRobin

I don't have a standalone freezer so my hoarding is limited. But since I bought my Bradley my freezer and most of my fridge is usually stuffed with meat. Such that as I mentioned before, one time my wife opened it and turned to me and said something to the effect of " Since you got that Bradley thing everytime I open the fridge I feel like Jeffrey Dahmer's wife."
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caribou

Quote from: GusRobin on December 15, 2010, 05:48:22 PM
I don't have a standalone freezer so my hoarding is limited. But since I bought my Bradley my freezer and most of my fridge is usually stuffed with meat. Such that as I mentioned before, one time my wife opened it and turned to me and said something to the effect of " Since you got that Bradley thing everytime I open the fridge I feel like Jeffrey Dahmer's wife."
:D :D
That's too funny GusR!
I think getting a stand alone freezer was the beginning of my downfall. 
Then I bought a second one.
And then I had to buy a generator just in case the electricity went out so my stuff would go bad.
Carolyn

SnellySmokesEm

I have two side by side refridgerators at my house, one inside and one in the garage.  Both of them are full of meat and other frozen foods.  Before I got my smoker I only had one fridge/freezer.  I also am a family of three, is this the start of my meat hoarding?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

RossP

My wife says I am. OK so there is only her and myself but we have a freezer full of salmon, chicken,ribs and turkey. I do not think I have a problem, when I see a good deal I stock up. Ok so we do not eat much meat but it is so hard to pass up a good sale. Like the other day my buddy says his friend is doing up a bunch of free range chickens and they are $18.00 each. Well up here I usually pay just about $4.00 a pound, he brought the birds over and they were all just over 9 lbs. I can hardly wait to get one in the Bradley and the Big Easy. But have a meat hoarding problem never..... ::)

Oh the freezer is full time to get another one.......
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

SnellySmokesEm

I usually only by meat when its on sale and when it is I stock up.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

Yep.

Got 2 side by side fridge's, one up stairs one down stairs both full and a huge upright freezer, full, well almost full, its still deer season.  ;D

Got a fridge in the smokin shed and one in the garage too.  ::)

Oh ya got a big ole chest freezer in the shed too, thats were I chill things when processing.

Gotta love it.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have two side-by-side fridge/freezers and a 17 cu ft chest freezer.  The chest freezer has ~ 8 lb of Hatch green chile's, ~ 15 lbs of specialty flour (this is TX), and about 300 lb of meat.  The freezers on the the two side-by-sides are filled with mixed other stuff.  But the fridge on the 2nd is usually filled with meats in some state of cure or aging, with one shelf dedicated to beverages.  The veg drawer is filled (packed would be a better word) with smoked cheese and the meat keeper drawer is full of casings.

No I not hoarding meat -- I'm a frugal shopper (since I discovered Sam's meat department).    ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Note to self! I need more freezer space!       ;D

DTAggie

I am calling TLC channel producers on all of you!  (or whatever channel that show is on).

deb415611

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 15, 2010, 06:37:59 PM
I have two side-by-side fridge/freezers and a 17 cu ft chest freezer.  The chest freezer has ~ 8 lb of Hatch green chile's, ~ 15 lbs of specialty flour (this is TX), and about 300 lb of meat.  The freezers on the the two side-by-sides are filled with mixed other stuff.  But the fridge on the 2nd is usually filled with meats in some state of cure or aging, with one shelf dedicated to beverages.  The veg drawer is filled (packed would be a better word) with smoked cheese and the meat keeper drawer is full of casings.

No I not hoarding meat -- I'm a frugal shopper (since I discovered Sam's meat department).    ;D

scary,  close to mine....  except the downstairs fridge is not a side by side and the freezer is an upright.....  & I wish I had 8 lb of hatch green chilie's.    I have more than 15lbs of flour in the freezer (and I"m not in TX ;D).  Smoked cheese in the veg drawer and casings in the meat drawer

and I'm at the point where I have no idea what is really in the freezers and it's time to work on eating out of them :D

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on December 16, 2010, 03:50:38 AM
Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 15, 2010, 06:37:59 PM

scary,  close to mine....  except the downstairs fridge is not a side by side and the freezer is an upright.....  & I wish I had 8 lb of hatch green chilie's.    I have more than 15lbs of flour in the freezer (and I"m not in TX ;D).  Smoked cheese in the veg drawer and casings in the meat drawer

and I'm at the point where I have no idea what is really in the freezers and it's time to work on eating out of them :D
Deb, that's what I say: "Got to eat through these things" but I don't have frozen flour.  ;)

I have a regular side by side fridge, a 15 cu ft chest, a Frigidaire Commercial upright freezer which is 20+  cu ft.

My New Year's resolution is to entertain more and make lots of smoked jerky and sausage and send a lot my folks. :)

I have a friend that raises hogs and sometimes he calls me when he an extra half that he needs to sell.  I'm so afraid he's going to call me and I won't be able to say "no".  :D :D
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Hoarding - yes - We buy a lot of meat "on sale"

which results in having to go "freezer diving" later.

We tend to go in cycles. when the freezer gets full we live from there for a while....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 16, 2010, 06:09:00 AM
Hoarding - yes - We buy a lot of meat "on sale"

which results in having to go "freezer diving" later.

We tend to go in cycles. when the freezer gets full we live from there for a while....

Or till theres a sale on brisket.  ;D

Tenpoint5

Fridge in the house, Beer fridge in the garage, 14cubic ft chest and 18 cubic ft chest freezers. No room to put anything in any of them. And I have 2 deer coming. be borrowing the neighbors beer fridge I guess
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!