Help.. whats coming out of my stuffer

Started by islandgirl, December 16, 2010, 08:04:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandgirl

I wanted a chunky chorizo type sausage it looked great until it came out of the stuffer tube!
My first sausage looked better than the ones that came out after.
Do I need a better stuffer?
I put everything in the fridge until I can get some advice.
The pictures compare what is going into the stuffer to what is coming out.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/fly-weight/1216000751.jpg
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/fly-weight/1216000755.jpg
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab21/fly-weight/1216000750.jpg

watchdog56

It looks to me like then end part of the grinding process. It looks like the chunkier pieces are the part that did not go through the cutting blade. The mushier piece looks like it might have been a little warmer than the rest of the meat from being held back in the grinder and then emulsifying. I would think as long as you have cure in there you should be good BUT I would also wait for a few other replies as I am not an expert like some of the people here. Hopefully Nepas will chime in.

CentPaSmokin

Are you stuffing with a grinder? If so do you have knife in backwards. Just a thought but most of it looks ok.

kinyo

It looks like if the grinding plate is getting clogged with meat. What kind of stuffer do you have? This situation happend to me the first time I made sausages. I hade to remove the plate and wash it.

OU812

Are you using  a grinder as a stuffer?

If so do you still have the knife and plate in?

You should have spacer plate for stuffing, no kinfe or grinding plate.

Kinda looks like your emulsifying your meat.

smoker pete

Sorry I can't help you islandgirl cause I've yet to make sausage but someone will soon come on board and help you.

In the meantime I noticed that when you posted your pictures it only comes up as a link to your photos hosted by photobucket.com  Not sure if you know this but to have your photos in your forum post show up then you need to copy and paste the IMG code associated with each photo rather than the Direct Link.  Below you'll see what I mean when I added the IMG statements to your links.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

islandgirl

it is a nothern industrial with really crappy instructions
I have the blade out of the  machine for the stuffing process. The first sausage looked better than what is coming out now.  Should I take it all apart and clean it out then start over?

Tenpoint5

Island girl basically what is happening is the worm screw is chewing up the meat and emulsifying it. The sausage will be fine it will have a smooth texture. But for appearance sake. What the guys are saying is that you need to remove the knife (which you did) and remove the plate. basically letting the worm screw flop around inside you grinder. This is rather rough on all parts involved. Suggest getting a separate stuffer if your planning on doing a lot of sausage. Because "There is a reason they call it a Grinder and NOT a Stuffer"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

kinyo

I'm also using a grinder as stuffer & it's working pretty well. You have to use the knife and special spacer with bigger holes than the grinding plate. When I bought my grinder, that plate was sold separatly. I don't know with Northern Industrial.

kinyo

The problem is if you remove the plate, the adaptor where you put the casing will be loose.

islandgirl

I do have that the knife and the  gringing plate removed.. Just the worm screw and sausage tube are attatched. I have just finished cleaning it out and will start again. Maybe time for a separate stuffer.

OU812

My grinder came with a spacer plate that holds the worm screw in place, then with no knife or grinding plate the stuffer tube will be tight.

A real stuffer works much better, but with the right pieces the grinder will work.

NePaSmoKer

What 10.5 said

The screw is getting warm and clogged with protein (fat) thus making a blockage. Clean your screw, plate and blade and start again.

islandgirl

So I cleaned it all out and started over. The first 2 sausages looked good then it started to emulsify the meat again. I continued and got the job done. Probably a separate stuffer would be best. This was only a 100$ machine, grinds great but lackes in stuffing department.

Could anyone recommmed a stuffer that would not break the bank?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: islandgirl on December 16, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
So I cleaned it all out and started over. The first 2 sausages looked good then it started to emulsify the meat again. I continued and got the job done. Probably a separate stuffer would be best. This was only a 100$ machine, grinds great but lackes in stuffing department.

Could anyone recommmed a stuffer that would not break the bank?

Grizzly 5 lb or better LEM 5 lb