• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Seasoning a prime rib

Started by Sorce, December 16, 2010, 09:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorce

Doing a prime rib for Christmas and wondering what everyone uses for seasoning on one. I generally go the house seasoning route, sometimes with slits and pieces of garlic cloves inserted in it. It's always came out pretty tasty and the seasoning doesn't over power the meat but I'm just wondering what else people use that I might consider. This year the prime rib is going in the smoker.

ArnieM

My personal taste is to go light on the seasoning.  S&P and if you like, the garlic.  Other than than that, I like to taste the beef.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Sorce

Yeah that's what I was wondering, I like the simple seasoning and have never had any complaints. Generally I either go S&P and garlic powder or the cloves inserted into slits in the meat. Since family is coming over for Christmas I'll probably stick to that method since it's been popular in the past.

This will be my first year doing it in the smoker, I have a lot of hickory pucks right now (cook a lot of pork) but think I'm going to order some oak or jim beam. Got a few family members who like well done, but figure I can either throw their slices on the grill or in a cast iron skillet to cook the piss out of the meat like they like.

classicrockgriller

Am doing one right after Christmas and it will get S/P

and just a dash of John Henry's Pecan.

Can't Wait!

ArnieM

It sounds like your seasoning will do well.

I like oak on beef roast.  Mesquite on brisket.  But, that's just me.

I'd cook it to about 125 in the smoker.  Let it rest for 30 minutes or so - even longer if you need the time.  The IT will rise to at least 130-135, medium rare.  Then put it into a 400 preheated oven for 15 minutes to crisp it up.  

Then you can take the outer slices and do as you said for the "well done" people.  That's no way to eat a rib roast.  :-\
-- Arnie

smoker pete

I have had great success with Jim Beam pucks on Tri-Tip so I think it would be a good choice for prime rib.  It really enhances the taste of beef.  Concur with others about going light on the seasoning.  Good luck on the prime rib.  Keep us posted with lots of pics  ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

TestRocket

Although you're using the smoker this year here are my notes from the last four years in cooking our Christmas standing rib roast! This may be helpful to someone?

Standing Rib Roast (2009)
(Below instructions adjusted from 2008 & 2009 experience).

Bring rib roast to room temperature (about 2 hours) *** Most Important ***
Dry rub fat side with (optional garlic pepper) and BBQ dry rub (refrigerate overnight if possible)
Dry rub ends and bottom with garlic pepper
Smear ends and bottom with butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees (and bake for 15 minutes)
Drop temperature to 325 degrees (and bake for about 11 minutes / lb)
Cook until internal thermometer reads 119 degrees and then take out of oven and let stand tented with foil until temp reaches 128-130 degrees (about 30-45 minutes) if needing to rest longer 45-60 minutes take out of oven at 117 degrees.

Optional: Every 1/2 hour, baste the cut ends of the roast with the fat accumulated in the roasting pan (do not add water to pan at the start).

Roasting pan rack will hold up to about a 13 lbs boneless rib roast!

*2006 cooked a 5.72 lb boneless roast for 20 minutes @ 450 and then 84 minutes until internal thermometer read 110 degrees. Let stand 15 minutes until temp was 120 degrees.
(A little to rare)

*2007 11.7 lb 2 hrs 55 min / 3 hrs 15 min total

*2008   12 lb boneless roast (cooked to fast, 2 hrs 20 minutes. I dropped temp twice and let stand for 1 hr until temp was 128-130 degrees). Roast was very good!

*2009 10 lb boneless roast. Used my dry rub on fat side and placed in fridge overnight. Added everything else 1 hour before cooking (sooner would be ok). 450 degrees for 15 and 11 minutes / lb was excellent! Pay attention to temps and resting times above and all will be good!

FLBentRider

The better the cut of meat the lighter I tend to go on seasonings...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 16, 2010, 09:41:33 PM

Can't Wait!

Hmmm! I generally just do the salt & pepper, but since a good friend gave me a bottle of John Henry's Pecan (which I have never tried before), amoung other good looking stuff, I may have to try the John Henry next time I do some prime rib.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Wildcat on December 17, 2010, 12:15:35 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 16, 2010, 09:41:33 PM

Can't Wait!

Hmmm! I generally just do the salt & pepper, but since a good friend gave me a bottle of John Henry's Pecan (which I have never tried before), amoung other good looking stuff, I may have to try the John Henry next time I do some prime rib.

You had better hang on tight Wildcat that stuff is really really good.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

hal4uk

Go light on seasoning, and do NOT cut any "slits" in it.

NOTE: if you google it, you'll find a lot of instructions to cook at higher temps, just as TestRocket suggests.
I know it's very common/traditional to do it that way, but I'm going to suggest a much different plan....

Smoke it at a low temperature --- 190-220 (tops).
That way, it will be cooked evenly from edge to edge.
If you cook it at a higher temperature, the slices will be nice in the middle, but done around the edges.
That's reason enough to cook at low temps...

But, something extra important to also consider: 
The very best -- TASTIEST -- part of the rib loin is at the outer edge.
That outside "cap" meat is extraordinarily tender and delicious.
(unless it's overcooked)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Sorce

My plan is low and slow at about 200 until 120-125 pull at let rest, preheat oven to 550 and then just before time to eat pop it in there for 5-8 minutes to crisp the outside.

ArnieM

Quote from: Sorce on December 18, 2010, 06:24:16 AM
My plan is low and slow at about 200 until 120-125 pull at let rest, preheat oven to 550 and then just before time to eat pop it in there for 5-8 minutes to crisp the outside.

Sounds like a good plan.  As Hal said, the low and slow cooks the meat evenly.  Many restaurants do it that way.

** Enjoy! **
-- Arnie