• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Jerky Smoke Done

Started by OMC-MOOSE, December 18, 2010, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMC-MOOSE

Well my first smoking of jerky is done. I did 10 lbs. (2-5lb. batches) it came out good.  I definitely prefer letting the jerky completely dry in the smoker rather than moving on to the dehydrator.  The dehydrator seems way to touchy...the meat seems to go from wet to dry real quick.  The smoker seems to be much more controlled and "looks" nicer when completed.  Here are a few pics...

Seasoning the brand new smoker

5 lbs. of jerky sitting in the colander draining before going onto the racks

First racks loaded and ready

Done

NRA Life Member

NePaSmoKer

OMC-MOOSE

Thanks NePA...I read a lot of your posts and replies to others...your input was a tremendous help to me.  I really appreciate it.
NRA Life Member

RFT

Looks good Moose.  I am doing 10lbs tomorrow.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OMC-MOOSE on December 18, 2010, 04:08:18 PM
Thanks NePA...I read a lot of your posts and replies to others...your input was a tremendous help to me.  I really appreciate it.
I wouldn't listen to him he's just a beginner!! LOL Nepas has helped a whole bunch of folks on this forum.

Your jerky looks really good Moose
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

looks real good. How does it taste.

OMC-MOOSE

Tastes real good Pike...I was able to get some of the saltiness out of it that I had going on...I will tweak it again the next time I make it, as well as do the entire batch in the smoker rather than moving it to the dehydrator after the smoke.
NRA Life Member

deb415611

Keymaster

That looks like killer Jerky Moose!!!

Indy Smoker

Nice jom - what recipe did you use? Family secret or pre pak?

OMC-MOOSE

I used a recipe that was part mine from yearsssss ago, and part of one of my buddies that he gave me a few years ago, and I used part of someones that I saw on here.  NePa gave me some suggestions for eliminating some of the salt from my old recipes and it helped a lot.  It's not a secret by any means.  If anyone would like to have it, I'd be more than happy to share it.  It's a work in progress; I'm always going to mess with it probably.

I have to save some of what I have left until my brother gets here from Florida on Thursday.  I don't know if that will be possible!...lol
NRA Life Member

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little