What Is The Best Way To Smoke A Full Cooked Ham

Started by chandlersmoking, December 19, 2010, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandlersmoking

What does the IT of the meat need to be to start smoking.  I am smoking a ham for xmas.  I read from Habanero Smoker that I could smoke it a couple of days before, wrap it in plastic and age it then stick it in the oven for the glazing at a later date.  Or should I do it all (smoking and glazing) on the same day and reheat later? 

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure about your first question. When smoking a cured uncooked ham, you need to air dry it in the smoker prior to applying the smoke. I find that in the Bradley eight hours at 110 - 120°F works well.

You could do everything without any lapse in time, but I don't think it will save you any time when you reheat the ham, because you will still need to reheat the ham to 140°F IT. I would also be somewhat concerned with the glaze already applied prior to reheating, the possibility that the sugars in the glaze would begin to burn during the reheating time. In my recipe it calls for fully cooking the ham to 152°F, prior to "aging" (the aging time can be skipped). So the ham only needs to be reheated at a later date.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)