Olives From Scratch

Started by jiggerjams, December 19, 2010, 11:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

About six weeks ago I came home from work to this:

Olives are you kidding? I have never played with olives before but let's give it a shot. First off I bit into an olive to taste it. Absolutely horrible tasting. How did anyone figure out these things are edible? Totally bitter!!

I searched online for a recipe and this is the one I decided on
http://winewriter.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/how-to-make-greek-olives-at-home/

Following the recipe I exchanged water daily. This is called water brining. After two weeks of water brining the olives looked like this.

I tried a taste again at the earliest stage to pull (3 weeks) and I felt it was better but could use to go the recipe distance and brined them for another week. Four weeks in total. Then olive sit in a salt brine as per the recipe. I went four days though.

The taste is still not favorable but when brined I think the olives have a solid chance of being a success. At this time the olives looked like this.

Time to start the party.  I checked the following for proper ID and all were legit to enter. How could I say no?

Following the recipe I added olive oil and oregano and stirred to mix

Started jars with garlic, jalapeno, and lemon

Create layers of garlic lemon, jalapeno, olives and repeat. Added 1/2 jar of apple cider and topped up with a salt brine. Leave room to add 1/4 inch of olive oil. I think the primary purpose of this is to create a barrier so the air does not contact the olives...and add taste.

Next time I would deviate away from the recipe and when adding the olive oil and oregano, I would keep a closer tab on the oregano added by stirring and observing then add more if needed

I can not comment on the taste as it is recommended to sit in jars for a month to develop flavor....but I will in January!!

JJ

3rensho

Those look delicious!  I make a big batch every year but usually lye cure them.  Let us know how these taste.  Maybe I'll give 'em a try next year.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

Caneyscud

Can I come over in about a month.  I would love to try those.  I have not gotten to play with fresh olives yet. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

jiggerjams

KevinG

Interesting, I don't like olives myself, but always thought you needed to put them in lactic acid and then lye to remove the taste.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: KevinG on December 20, 2010, 08:34:37 AM
Interesting, I don't like olives myself, but always thought you needed to put them in lactic acid and then lye to remove the taste.

Yes and no!  From what I remember, there is the "Lye" cure, the water cure, and the salt cure (sometimes called oil cure).  I don't remember if all cures are for all olives.  I think only ripe olives are used with the salt cure. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

classicrockgriller

I am a Olive Freak!

Can't wait for the taste test.

TestRocket

I think you can get that already done and it's called...if I can remember Rachael Ray correctly EVOO? My kids have always enjoyed putting olives on their fingers and eating them. Yuck! I'll take a pass on this one!  ???

jiggerjams

I can remember around the two week period I started thinking the olives were going bad because they (only a small few at this time)were changing color and an odor was developing. I thought I did something wrong until later on when I recognized the color as being more like a cured olive and more olives started looking like that. Whew!!.

rdevous

Alton Brown cured olives in one of the episodes of his show Good Eats.  Rather labor intensive process involved in curing them!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

jiggerjams

Yes it was. Hopefully the labor of love thing works out for me. Alton Brown is interesting. Much respect to him!.

JJ

ArnieM

Looks like an interesting experiment JJ.  I like olives but don't recall ever seeing a 'fresh' one.  As you indicated, I've heard they're inedible.

I'll also be looking forward to the finished product.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

carnie1

I did olives a few years ago, did a bunch of different kinds, last few years I keep missing the season to purchase raw olives, I'll do them again if I can catch them in season, check this out http://beadcreation.tripod.com/homemade_olives_raw_olive_curing_curing_olives_olive_recipies_curring_recipies.htm