First time to smoke cheese

Started by cinrds, December 20, 2010, 08:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrds

Tried something new tonight, I smoked some cheese.   1 lbs of Colby Jack, 1/2 lbs of JalapeƱo Colby Jack, 1 lbs of cheddar, and 1/2 lbs of Swiss.  Smoked for 3 hours with apple wood, then a vacuumed sealed, and on Fri we will break them open and see if it is any good. 

We will eat them with some different Sausages I will be smoking on Wed. Father-n-law in picking up the sausage at a German deli we have here. .  They will prob. get a couple hours of hickory or Jim Beam if I have any left.  I like the Jim Beam.  Should be a good Christmas eve meal. 

classicrockgriller

I don't think you will enjoy your cheese.

It needs to be vac-sealed for about 3 weeks to take away

the dreaded "Ash Tray" taste.

Tell F-I-L to pick up some smoke cheese too.

DTAggie

I'm with CRG, but I do not like the cheese until at least 6 weeks vac seal.

La Quinta

Yeah...wait at least 3 weeks....or you wont like it...trust me...my window for cheese is narrow...you'll want to do a lot...vac seal and wait...it's worth it!  ;)

cinrds

OH WOW I had ran across a post or two where people said to wait at least 2 days.  Maybe then meant weeks.  That sucks.  Well it looks likt I might have some good cheese for the Super Bowl.

TestRocket

Smoked cheese at the Super Bowl party, I like the way you adapted so easily!    ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cinrds on December 21, 2010, 11:12:27 AM
OH WOW I had ran across a post or two where people said to wait at least 2 days.  Maybe then meant weeks.  That sucks.  Well it looks likt I might have some good cheese for the Super Bowl.

Just tell them that was your plan from the start. ;D

cinrds

I will go today and get more cheese while it is on sale, but will not smoke so we can have it Fri.  I will smoke the sausage tonight for Fri that and I know that will be ready by then.  I was thanking I will make some smoked cheese and sausage packages to give away at Christmas next year.