Question on smoking nuts

Started by TMB, December 22, 2010, 01:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Now that I somewhat cold smoked nuts, cheese and spuds can I smoke nuts at 200 + temp?  If so how long should I let them smoke?
Mine were very good but Pensrock's seemed to have better flavor.

Pensrock tells me he smokes at 100 temp but Nepa's told me he brings his up to help make the nuts crisp.

Any thoughts on this would be great, looking to do some in the Bradley and some in my SRG to compair.

Thanks,

Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

SoCalBuilder

TMB - I did raw almonds while I had a brisket going. I tired a modified version of a recipe on the site where they called for a cold smoke and then did the seasoning and finished in the oven. It seemed to work okay. The wife complained about the spice, so I rinsed off a few and let them dry. They were a nice smoked nut with none of the spices. In otherwords, the extras didn't soak in, they just sat there. I saw somewhere here where someone was soaking the nuts in a brine and then were going to smoke them. Might be worth a shot.

Good luck and Happy Holidays :)

pensrock

It depends. If I soak the nuts in hot sauce or something like CT then you will need the heat to help dry/crisp them up. I do not use water in the bowl when doing cheese or nuts cause I do not want any steam/moisture in the tower. I do not see a problem doing them at a higher temp as long as they do not get overdone. I have never used any raw nuts but they would have to be done in heat.

BuyLowSellHigh

The only ones I've done have been cold smoked, then season and roast for a few minutes in an oven.  It's pretty efficient.  I don't see any problem doing them as a hot smoke, just keep an eye on them getting done.  Nuts can turn the corner from barely cooked to over toasted rather quickly.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Personally, knowing Tommy and Kimmie as I do I'm biting my tongue on this one and not saying anything more! Well...never mind?  :D  ;D

TMB

Thanks for the input guys, this helps out a lot.   I'm gonna try to smoke some this weekend if the weather does not get bad.  I'm cooking a turkey breast and I'll smoke after that.   I'll write a report after I have done this.   
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!