Started by NePaSmoKer, December 24, 2010, 08:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got my 4 rack with the saw dust smoke rolling on some International cheeses  ;D

Apple smoke.

jiggerjams

Those will be good. Top o' the mornin' to ya

DTAggie

Interesting saw dust thingy.  So the element will make that smoke?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DTAggie on December 24, 2010, 09:41:53 AM
Interesting saw dust thingy.  So the element will make that smoke?

My 4 rack is just for cold smoking, no heat from element. The hole on the end of the saw dust smoker is where you light the dust, it just smokes from there. Cab temp from this is 72*

DTAggie

Now I get it.  Where can you find the saw dust and the holder?

SnellySmokesEm

DT -I just got one for christmas.  Cant wait to use it.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: DTAggie on December 24, 2010, 07:32:17 PM

You can get the dust from the web site. Todd the maker/owner is one heck of a nice guy.

love the smoke

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 25, 2010, 03:30:05 AM
Quote from: DTAggie on December 24, 2010, 07:32:17 PM

You can get the dust from the web site. Todd the maker/owner is one heck of a nice guy.

I will second that he is super

LTS
LTS

NePaSmoKer

Got the international vac sealed.

carnie1

That looks pretty good, I can see some long cold sausage smokes with that gadget, what size did you get ? the 6x6 or 6x8?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: carnie1 on December 26, 2010, 08:49:58 PM
That looks pretty good, I can see some long cold sausage smokes with that gadget, what size did you get ? the 6x6 or 6x8?

I use the 6x6.

EnglishGuy

OP

As an Englishman, I'd be suspicious of 'English Cheddar' sold in square blocks in the US. Ditto, the Irish cheddar! Real farmhouse and artisan cheese comes in round wheels, not square shapes....  >:(

The imported English cheddar is unlikely to be better than a good Wisconsin or Canadian cheddar (I've had some AMAZING Canadian cheddar in my time which has been better than 99% of English cheddars), so we're not experts at making OUR most famous cheese most of the time. I'm also unsure whether smoke improves an already excellent cheese. A perfectly ripe farmhouse English cheddar (Keen's Cheddar is in my opinion the ultimate English cheddar, and you CAN find it in the US online, but at a price) doesn't benefit from smoking.

When I smoke cheese, I find the best are a medium strength commercial cheddar or a medium matured (real) Gouda (the Gouda sold in the US appears to be a generic cheese, not the real Dutch article). Overly matured cheeses such as a mature Gouda are usually too dry to benefit from smoking, and mild ones don't seem to have much flavor, so something in the middle always seems best.

Well, I've given in today to friends who have been nagging me to make some more smoked cheese, so I smoked some cheddar for my English friends, and smoked some Gouda for my American secretary.   ;D

EnglishGuy

"Sorry EG

Didnt make ya look at the post  Shocked
Guess us AMERICANS are stoooopid"

I'm confused. Where did I say Americans were stupid?

All I pointed out was that a lot of English cheese is crap, and we export some of it (a real embarrassment as far as I'm concerned). I further pointed out that a lot of good Cheddar originates from North America - the second best cheddar I ever tasted came from Canada.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: EnglishGuy on December 27, 2010, 09:39:18 AM
"Sorry EG

Didnt make ya look at the post  Shocked
Guess us AMERICANS are stoooopid"

I'm confused. Where did I say Americans were stupid?

All I pointed out was that a lot of English cheese is crap, and we export some of it (a real embarrassment as far as I'm concerned). I further pointed out that a lot of good Cheddar originates from North America - the second best cheddar I ever tasted came from Canada.

Guess i just took the post wrong. No harm no foul