HOLY SMOKE BATMAN!

Started by SoupGuy, August 02, 2005, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoupGuy

We've had the Bradley smoke generator installed on our 50+ LB custom smoker for a few months now. Bought several hundred pucks from a internet store and gave it a whirl. (We bought the 4x120 pack from thewestcoaststore.com. 360 hickory and 120 mesquite pucks).

The smoke generator works flawlessly with a couple of complaints/exceptions...

1) The amount of smoke is not adjustable.
   You get whatever it delivers. Some things need a heavy smudge,
others we want a lighter lever of smoke. The unit is not adjustable. In a manual smoker it can be controlled.

2) The flavor imparted by the bisquetts is not the same
(or as good) as using naturally harvested wood. We can only speak on Hickory as Mesquite doesnt grow in Wisconsin. The pucks give off an offensive odor compared to chunks of real seasoned wood which are sweet-smelling.

Somewhere we read that the Bradley Bisquettes are somehow better than using natural wood because they are processed and formed (to fit the smoke generator) excluding something in the wood that is supposedly undesireable.

We disagree.

After fifteen years of smoking jerky, Salmon and Sausages with natural wood (we cut and season ourselves), and now trying the bisquettes we have no doubt that natural wood greatly exceeds the flavor than these pucks could ever hope to deliver.

If you are trying to smoke things as a back yard chef, go for the Bradley setup. It works fine in the back yard in small quantities (although it is very tiny). In a commercial enterprise nobody would give it a second look. Ever watch the BBQ competitions on FOODTV? Theres never a Bradley smoker anywhere in sight!

Friends of ours were very impressed with some of our smoked product and on their own bought a Bradley Smoker. We saw it from a distance and initially did not know what it was. After walking up and checking it out, HOLY SMOKERS! It is a PUNY little box made of plastic and tin. The new owner complained that they had no idea the thing was so small. We also were suprised and glad we were not asked for advice before their purchase!

Bottom line: real seasoned wood produces a much better flavor than Bradley Pucks. The Bradley is surely easier to master for the novice, but the quality just doesnt compare.

** Go ahead forum moderator...

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

nsxbill

Hey Soup,

Sorry it didn't work out for you.  Most of us are exactly the target customers Bradley focuses.  The home smoker. You sound like you are in the mood to stir the pot - asking for an argument?  The Bradley Smoker is a home unit designed for the home smoker.  Most of us are happy with the smoker - that little metal box.

I plan on buying a knock-down smoker for BBQ circuit.  I know the Bradley is not in the same league.  When I use the Caldera smoker I am going to pick-up soon(thebbqguru.com), I will use lump charcoal, and natural wood to smoke when doing "production."  The two Bradleys I have will still be used regularly at home because I will still be a home smoker and I like the end product.

To each their own.  I am surprised that with 15 years experience smoking commercially, you even opted to try a smoke generator in the first place.  Perhaps if you are so unhappy with the stuff you have you might want to post up a note with your asking price.  One of us home smokers might be interested.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Gordon

I think it would be rather laughable for them to show up in competition.  It is not a competition unit.  But for me, and everyone who has seen it, or tasted the food off of it - it cannot be beat.  No constant watch, no worry of over burning the wood - releasing gases that are not meant to touch consumables, and the extremely consistent results.  It works for me, but I can completely understand not working for your needs.

I do have to question why you would go through the trouble of finding this website, discovering the forum, signing up, and then dissing the product.  Sounds like you have a busy, and I can only assume, productive business to run - why would you waste that kind of time?   I never see the Weber Bullet on TV either, but plenty of people use them.

What a piece of work is man!

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you should have researched more before buying the generator. Most of your disappointments could have been avoided if you learned more about the Bradley Smoker and generator.

P.S.
How did you gain two more years of experience since your introduction back in March, 2005[?]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

Mesquite; The Devil's[}:)] Wood.  You think I'm kidding....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SoupNazi</i>
<br />
1) The amount of smoke is not adjustable.
   You get whatever it delivers. Some things need a heavy smudge,
others we want a lighter lever of smoke. The unit is not adjustable. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes it is. Put in as many bisquettes as you like to control the amount of smoke you desire. If your setup does not allow you to regulate the heat to accomodate this, that is not a flaw in the Bradley unit.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">2) The flavor imparted by the bisquetts is not the same
(or as good) as using naturally harvested wood. We can only speak on Hickory as Mesquite doesnt grow in Wisconsin. The pucks give off an offensive odor compared to chunks of real seasoned wood which are sweet-smelling.

We disagree.

After fifteen years of smoking jerky, Salmon and Sausages with natural wood (we cut and season ourselves), and now trying the bisquettes we have no doubt that natural wood greatly exceeds the flavor than these pucks could ever hope to deliver. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is your opinion & I can respect that. I've been smoking for over 20 years & until I bought a Bradley, had used only chunk wood. I don't see the difference that you do. That's my opinion.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you are trying to smoke things as a back yard chef, go for the Bradley setup. It works fine in the back yard in small quantities (although it is very tiny). In a commercial enterprise nobody would give it a second look. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Then why would you purchase it for a commercial application? Last I looked, commercial units went into the thousands of dollars.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ever watch the BBQ competitions on FOODTV? Theres never a Bradley smoker anywhere in sight!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not true. I watched a program on Food Network that followed seven BBQ teams across the country to various competitions. They all had their big cooker trailers for serving the masses, but 3 of those teams used a Bradley to prepare what they turned into the judges.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Friends of ours were very impressed with some of our smoked product and on their own bought a Bradley Smoker. We saw it from a distance and initially did not know what it was. After walking up and checking it out, HOLY SMOKERS! It is a PUNY little box made of plastic and tin. The new owner complained that they had no idea the thing was so small. We also were suprised and glad we were not asked for advice before their purchase! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I regularly smoke 35-40# of meat in my Bradley. You stated you had a 50# unit. I think the terms "tiny" & "PUNY" are a pretty big exaggeration in your comparison. I agree with Bill's assessment on this.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">** Go ahead forum moderator... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You're assuming incorrectly that I would just nuke this because it is anti-Bradley. As long as we can civilly discuss your disappoinment versus our appreciation, that's fine. Hopefully it keeps someone else from making the same mistake.

Kirk[:)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

As a home user(that sounds kinda bad in a way)my bradley rounds out my smoking equipment.  sorry it didn't work out for you Soup nazi.  I hope you can find something that fits the bill.  Good luck and don't be a stranger as your experience and expertise can be a value to us all[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">P.S.
How did you gain two more years of experience since your introduction back in March, 2005[?]</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

HB you kill me LOL~~!

Hey Chez you remember what I first told you about SN when he first posted... If he is not then he is closely related [:0] LOL~~! I won't say I told ya so.... but [^]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Hi,

For what it is worth I have smoked using "real seasoned" wood, albeit with a lot less experience than either Chez Bubba or SoupNazi, and notice no difference between the two, B.S is heck of a lot easier for the home smoker though.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">excluding something in the wood that is supposedly undesireable <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong!?) is that nothing is actually excluded from the wood in the bisquettes, purely that they are only burnt for a limited amount of time (20 minutes) then extinguished.

The longer wood is burnt the higher the proportion of acids and resins that are produced so only burning them for a limited time reduces the potential chemical and/or carcinogen release. This must be a good thing, particularly for those who eat a lot of smoked food!?

The good thing is that SoupNazi's comments are respected and answered (good answer Chez) and to the independent observer the information is there for them to make up their own minds![:D]

For my 2 penny/cents worth, I am very happy with my BS and the quality at least matches the commercial equivalents I have bought, to the dozen or so friends who regular sample my offerings they would all say it exceeds the commercial stuff! (e.g hot smoked salmon, mackerel, cold smoked cheese)

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

I guess you just can't please everyone.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I guess you just can't please everyone<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Sorry Ladies don't read this... warning if you are a lady then stop now...

Edited out...
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Come on Olds, come clean, tell us what you really feel.  LOL

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Come on Olds, come clean, tell us what you really feel.  LOL

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">What I really feel is her smile upon my face when the moment is right. Even an Old Dog like me can still scratch  behind his ears.  [^]

Olds

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Hey Chez you remember what I first told you about SN when he first posted... If he is not then he is closely related [:0] LOL~~! I won't say I told ya so.... but [^]

Olds<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I will certainly concede if he doesn't post a response. I'm just overly optimistic at times, especially when it comes to character.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I'm just overly optimistic at times, especially when it comes to character.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ya you are a good guy Chez. You want to believe in character... Me on the other I'm a prick. At least I'm a prick who was able to tell you from the get go where this guy was going with this...

Is he the same guy as before? I don't know. What I do know is if it walks like a duck; quacks like a duck; likes swims like a duck, then more than likely it is a duck. I won't say I told you so...but! [^]

To bring everyone up to speed on this, when SN first posted I was talking with Chez on the phone and I told him that I thought he was the same guy that tried to cause trouble before. That in the end he would write a trash talking posting.  Ummm am I just lucky? If so I should be rich by now playing the lottery.

Quack..........Quack!
Olds