• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The day FTC saved Christmas

Started by fjp110, December 25, 2010, 06:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjp110

Christmas is at my mothers this year and my brother is doing a standing rib roast at her house for dinner.  The plan is to eat around 4.  I get a call at 10 am from the brother.  the oven temp seems to low, and his meat thermometer seems to be lying to him. He is asking me to bring a meat thermometer.  I pack up both of my corded thermometers from the smoker.   long story short the oven is fluctuating 20 to 30 degrees down before it kicks back on to warm up again.  He has also cranked the temp way up to make up for what he thought was a low temp.  So, I set up the 2 thermometers one in the meat one in the air. We are way ahead of schedule.  internal temp of meat is 120 at noon.  I turn the temp way down and still hit IT of 140 around 1:30.  Panic time, this great piece of meat is going to be ruined by 4 when we plan to eat. So I get a stroke of genius (that I learned here) FTC.  I casually say '' no problem, get me some foil, 2 towels, and a cooler.''  I set the FTC up and leave it sit in the  corner till around 3.  I quick take a IT we are at 130.  I take it out and serve it. Everything is great.  FTC saved Christmas.

Tenpoint5

Funny how them AH HA!! Moments seem to happen just when you need them too. Glad everything worked out for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

BuyLowSellHigh

Cool save !  And you're a hero !
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

That's some good thinking on your feet!

Bet your brother was impressed.

KyNola

Cue the Mighty Mouse Theme Song "Here I Come To Save The Day!" :)

Nice save!  

BTW, most kitchen ovens have those same 20-30 degree swings.  You did good throwing the FTC on it and I'll bet your brother looked at you and said "you need what?  Where the heck did you learn that?". ;)

Edited 'cause I meant swings not themes. :P 

GusRobin

FTC and BBQ sauce have averted many potential disasters!
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

crabwise

KyNola

An acronym for exactly what he did to hold the meat at a nice warm temp for hours!  Foil, Towel, Cooler.  Wrap in foil, then wrap in a towel then place in an empty cooler with no ice or place the wrapped package in a microwave oven and don't turn on the oven.  Will easily hold for 4-6 hours. 

crabwise

aaaAAAAahhh...  got it.  Thanks.