Our Favorite "Mac 'n Cheese" -- with Bacon !

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, December 26, 2010, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

This has become the family favorite "mac 'n cheese". It's what we're eating the day after Christmas.  Pic's first, details and recipe follow.

This is a modification of of the Cheese Lovers 5 Cheese Mac and Cheese that won Rick Massa $10K in the Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Showdon.  The original recipe is incredible.  

The modifications here are substituting mascarpone for the blue cheese primarily for creaminess and what I believe is a better balance, and the seasoning.  This is very cheesey and creamy. A key to this is using really good cheeses.  I have found that Boar's Head brand cheeses for everything but the Mascarpone work very well. I use De Cecco cavatappi pasta, but macaroni works well too.

Here's our version

Ingredients
•   1 lb of cavatappi (aka cellentani) or macaroni
•   Kosher salt for the pasta
•   1 1/2 cups grated Fontina
•   3/4 cup grated aged white Cheddar
•   3/4 cup grated Gruyere
•   3/4 cup grated Parmesan
•   ½ cup Mascarpone
•   ½  cup Panko bread crumbs
•   1/4 pound bacon, diced
•   1 medium yellow onion, diced
•   5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter baking dish
•   6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•   1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
•   2 1/2 cups whole milk
•   2 cups heavy cream
•   1 sprig fresh thyme
•   1 bay leaf
•   1/2 teaspoon salt
•   ¼ tsp ground black pepper
•   Full pinch of nutmeg, ~ 1/8 tsp
•   3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and generously butter a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish.

Start a large pot of water, at least 4 qts, heating to a boil for cooking the pasta.  Add 1 tsp of salt per qt. of water.
In a bowl combine bread crumbs with ½ cup of the Fontina and ¼ cup each of the Gruyere, white Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.  Mix well and set aside.

In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, sauté the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Sauté the onion in the bacon drippings until soft and golden without browning or caramelizing. Add the 5 tablespoons butter to the onion mixture and melt the butter with stirring.

Using a high temperatures rubber or silicone spatula or a whisk add the flour and stir constantly until well mixed with the fat making a roux. Add the mustard with constant mixing. Then gradually add the milk and cream whisking or stirring constantly.  Add the thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Let come to a simmer, adjust heat to maintain a very low simmer and stir frequently for 15 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and transfer to a large bowl, ~ 5 qts.

Strain the hot milk mixture into a 3 qt saucepan and discard the solids. Working quickly off heat, mix in the remaining Fontina, white Cheddar, Gruyere,  Parmesan with the  Mascarpone, the reserved bacon, and the parsley. Continue to stir until all cheese is melted. If necessary warm very slightly over very low heat.

Add the cheese mixture to the cooked noodles and toss to coat, then transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese and bread crumb mixture on top of the noodles. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Remove from oven when done and rest for 5 minutes before serving.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

rdevous

Yummo....copied and pasted that to my recipe file and printed it off to add to my Welcome to Che Ray's recipe binder.

Bacon AND cheese...wowzer!!!

Ray

If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

3rensho

Boy that looks good.  BLSH, every time you post your fabulous food pics I gain two pounds just looking at them.  I gotta try this recipe for sure.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

TestRocket

NePaSmoKer

Caneyscud

I'm one of those very rare people who can take mac-n-cheese or leave it.  But that mac-n-cheese I could easily learn to love.  Loods all gooey, warm, and wonderful.

Gads - there goes that soft and cuddly side of me again!  Gotta keep that in control.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Brisket Lover

OU812

And I thought Mac n Cheese only came in a box.  :D

Looks mighty gooood!!

smoker pete

Wowza BLSH.  That's a great recipe!!!  Looks simply scrumptious ... Gotta have me some of that soonest  ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Tenpoint5

OK Time to take this to another level!! BLSH take some of that Mac and Cheese and put it on a pizza!! That is the newest thing around here and I must add it is PDG!!

Looks Great BLSH
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

umbrellalady

That is a pretty fine looking Mac and Cheese!  I will definitely be trying that one! Great pictures - I am going to have to wipe off my keyboard now...lol!