• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Meat slicer that you use.

Started by Sailor, December 27, 2010, 04:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

I am in the market for a meat slicer and there are so many out there to choose from.  I really don't want to pay lots of $ for one.  I am wanting to slice BACON and jerky mainly but I am sure that once I have a slicer cheese will be on list to slice.   I know 10.5 has the cheap Rival fold up slicer and uses it for BACON but needs 3 hands to operate it.  For those that have a slicer could you post your slicer and the pros and cons of it and what you you would buy it you had to do it over again.  There may be a thread like this already and if so just point me to the thread and disregard this one  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

I have the Chef's choice 610 I got it on Home shopping on a great sale and it came with a second blade. Good little slicer. CON- have to move the meat slow or it leaves some hanging. But that has not diminished how I like the slicer. Here are some links to other places that sell it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=chef's+choice+meat+slicer+610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=744612223733867939#
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Sailor

Quote from: GusRobin on December 27, 2010, 04:56:47 PM
I have the Chef's choice 610 I got it on Home shopping on a great sale and it came with a second blade. Good little slicer. CON- have to move the meat slow or it leaves some hanging. But that has not diminished how I like the slicer. Here are some links to other places that sell it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=chef's+choice+meat+slicer+610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=744612223733867939#
Been looking at the 610 on the net.  Have not seen one in person.  Does it have enough throw to put a slab of BACON in to slice?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

squirtthecat

I have the 610 as well. (through HSN so I have the deli blade)

I did a whole slab of bacon on it, but it was a bit of a trick.   Cutting it in half would be a 100x easier.

It works great for slicing turkey, roast beef, etc.   I really like it for the price.  (125 and change)

Slamdunk

In a nut shell - no. I just cut my slab in half. Still tastes as good!

It's not a commercial slicer by any means, but it does the trick for me.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have the 610 too, with both the serrated blade (unused) and the regular blade .  It works well once you figure out it's tricks.  But it won't handle a full slab of bacon in it's standard configuration.

There are a couple of ways to go about slicing a typical slab - about 9"-11" long.  One is to remove the sliding feeding tray and to slide it manually along the tray with great care (fingers).  One that I have read about on the web that reportedly works is to double the slab over, tie it, and then slice using the feeder.  I haven't tried it, but it's reported to work reasonably well.

Before I bought the 610 I talked with Cody at Allied Kenco who has been servicing and selling slicers for decades.  He told me that there wasn't a "home" model made that had enough throw to handle a full slab of bacon.  He said the minimum would be a 12" commercial model -- price tag 4 figures.

For bacon I mostly hand slice with a Granton slicer.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TestRocket

Great question Sailor, I'm watching the answers with interest!   ;D

SamuelG

Sailor,

I have the 610, right down the road from you.  It works very well so far, but I also cut the bacon in half.  I have also used it for my cured meats and manchego cheese with great success!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

ArnieM

I also have the 610.  Fairly inexpensive and not too bad to clean.  I do beef, tomatoes, cheese, etc with no problems.

This is a slice of roast beef off of it.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

hal4uk

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Food-Machinery-Slicer-CFM-12/dp/B003BHO3NY/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1290532531&sr=8-40

I'm very happy with it, but it's not exactly cheap (I had $250 worth of Amazon Visa points when I purchased it)
Honestly, if weren't for my $250 "head start"... I probably would have bought the 610 --- everyone here is pretty happy with that.

The "travel" is not optimal (still have to cut a bacon slab in half --- unless remove the guide)
But, it cuts meat like butter (with one hand), it's stable on the counter (weighs 55lbs), and breaks down easy for cleaning.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Indy Smoker

FLBentRider

I have a Weston/prago trade/cabelas brand.

It's ok.

I got a great deal on it a while back. It does not appear from their site that they make the 10 inch any more.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

I put one on our wedding registry and someone gave it to my wife at her bridal shower.   That was pretty funny!  It is just a Waring FS150 and it has sliced every roast and jerky meat I have thrown at it.  I know its not the best but for $80 or so it works.  It is a pain to clean though (I'm guessing this is common among slicers) and doesn't stay in one place on the cabinet very well.  Those are the only cons I have with it.

Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond sell it if you want to see it in person.

grnhs

good question, I'll be getting one soon.
Have a brisket brining for corned beef which I'm going to pastrami.

SamuelG

Just ran 8lbs of pastrami and 4 lbs of Brisket through my 610 nonstop.  Paper thin with great results.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG