• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What make a better jerky

Started by SL2010, December 28, 2010, 03:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

I was wondering if sliced beef is better than GB also i was think of get large pieces of top round cubed then cutting them down by hand into strips

Keymaster

I prefer whole muscle meat over GB. GB can be quite good also, Nepas makes a fine looking Hillbilly jerky out of GB. I think the top round would work out great for you.

NePaSmoKer

Try this for 5 lbs of strip jerky

2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 cup Soy sauce
1/2 cup Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce (opt)
6 TB Honey
3 TB Mustard (PYM) Plain Yellow Mustard, Frenches or any kind.
6 TB Garlic Salt
2 TB Pepper
4 TB Onion Powder
1 cup Brown Sugar
1 level t cure 1 (only if your going to use smoker)

To Add HEAT
2 1/2 TB Crushed Red Pepper or
1/2 cup Tabasco sauce

Mix all marinade ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Pour into plastic container and refrigerate until needed. Measure out 2 cups of mixture for every 3-5 lbs of meat to be marinated. Pour over meat slices that are already in a quart size zip lock bag. Thoroughly wet all sides of meat. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours. Rotate bag every few hours, working the marinade over all meat. Drain the meat and spread the meat (be sure to NOT overlap) onto trays in single layers. If using a dehydrator, dry for 4-5 hours, (depending on thickness) checking every 2 hours. Make sure to rotate trays
(bottom to top and flipping the meat as needed) Jerky should be hard but not brittle. Blot up any fat that appears with a paper towel or place jerky in a brown paper bag. For a chewy texture, slice the meat with the grain, or across the grain for a more tender jerky.

If you use your smoker start at 130*  and bump 10* until you reach 170* on your smoker.

GusRobin

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 28, 2010, 04:45:48 PM
If you use your smoker start at 130*  and bump 10* until you reach 170* on your smoker.

Bump every hour?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SL2010

That sounds good i will mix that up later in the week and try it out this weekend as long as pucks get here

razzle

I did a 5 lb batch today,,, I followed the directions to a tee....  it was awesome ,  my Daughters loved it.
I will be doing more soon, I used my dehydrator 5 hours.

Thanks for the recipe.

"7 days without BBQ makes one weak"   

Ray

mjdeez

Can I cut out the liquid smoke if I plan to smoke it? Should I just leave it out or replace with more soy / wor. sauce?

Fernslinger

I have been using London broil and results have been good...any lean cut should work well.

Keymaster

Quote from: mjdeez on January 22, 2011, 02:11:39 PM

Can I cut out the liquid smoke if I plan to smoke it? Should I just leave it out or replace with more soy / wor. sauce?
I would leave the Liquid smoke out if I was going to smoke it and leave the rest of the recipe as is.

pikeman_95

SL2010
When I send you your parts I will include some GD [ground deer] jerky that I have made. If done right you can make a jerky that is very much like whole muscle meat jerky. The one thing is you have to spice them differently because marinading a muscle jerky means that you are not going to have all the spices in the finished product. You will rinse some of it off. In GB jerky you  eat everything you put in it. Just keep that in mind if you are looking at a recipe for regular jerky you will need a different amount for ground meat.

OU812

Quote from: pikeman_95 on January 25, 2011, 06:26:19 PM
SL2010
When I send you your parts I will include some GD [ground deer] jerky that I have made. If done right you can make a jerky that is very much like whole muscle meat jerky. The one thing is you have to spice them differently because marinading a muscle jerky means that you are not going to have all the spices in the finished product. You will rinse some of it off. In GB jerky you do eat everything you put in it. Just keep that in mine if you are looking at a recipe for regular jerky you will need a different amount for ground meat.

Ditto!

Ground goes faster than whole muscle around here. ::)

More flavor same texture everyone says.

SL2010

rkp

I have a question on the need for cure in a jerky recipe that has soy sauce in it. I have always made ground venison jerky and I soak the meat in chunks before grinding for a week. I'm thinkin that would pretty much cure anything. Until now I have done it in the dehydrator. I have some soakin right now and will be smoking it this sat.
OBS w/ auber pid

JF7FSU

I am from the school that says you need cure.  Salt is a cure, but the amount in soy sauce may not be enough to keep the nasties away at long low temp cooking such as smoking in a Bradley.  I also imagine it would make the jerky last longer too once done.  From what I have read and learned here, using cure is the safe way to go.  I have read a few posts that don't use and only use soy or salt and say it's no problem at all.  I'm sure an expert will be along shortly and give you a few ideas.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Smokin Soon

Nepas, when going straight to the deydrator without cure what do you set yor temp at?