• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

WHAT THE HECK?? FINISH PICS

Started by smokeNcanuck, December 30, 2010, 07:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeNcanuck

First off MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone!!

I'm off this week so I thought I would make some venison SS.  I did up a 15Lb batch(my largest to date)
Mixed 60/40 venison/pork,  Thought all was well.  In to the OBS yesterday at 10AM for three hours of hickory
and then cook to IT of 155, ok no big deal (I thought) should be done before it gets too late.
NOT I am going on 26 hrs and only at about 138F????  Holly S$$T, I have checked with three different thermos all seem to
be reading the same.  Does this sound normal to anyone else??  I am guessing that it is because it is such a large load.
Did up four 2.5# cotton bags and a few collagens as well.  I hope everything is going to be OK, I'll post some pics, If it ever finishes
cooking!!

sNc

p.s. 140 to dry, 150 to smoke(3hrs),160,170(was to finish), now up to 180(and not going any higher)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

mow_delon

That does seem too long, especially for venison.  The last summer sausage I made took like 6 hours (I usually pull venison sausage at 145).  However, I usually just crank the heat all the way up (225-250) and leave it there for the whole smoke/cook.  Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!

watchdog56

Everything sounds right,(temp and time for smoke) I never did that big of batch,only done 5# batch and that has taken me 10 hours but it was cold outside. Make sure your unit is out of the wind. Also it may seem odd but keep your vent open,normal thinking would be to close vent to keep heat in but what actually happen is more moisture builds up in smoker which leads to cooler temps. Also you will get black spots on your sausage from the moisture-this is called black rain.

NePaSmoKer

15 lbs of SS is a load for the Bradley thats why its taking so long. Pluse you hit the stall.

Secret (dont tell tho)  :D  Open the door (20 sec) and shock the SS.....yeah i know you will loose heat  ;D

Then close and bump heat to 175*

smokeNcanuck

Well the marathon is over and I won!! ;)
The last chub came off right at the 35.5 hr mark :o :o
I cut up some of the small collagen ones this AM, the bags will hang for a few weeks in my cold cellar.
They taste AMAZING, I'm really happy with the results.  This was my first try with venison and will defiantly be hitting my
hunting buddies up for more ;D.  Enjoy

classicrockgriller

Looks mighty fine to me!

Did 22 lbs of bacon the other day and it took twice as long as I thought.

Some Days you Eat the Bear ........... And Some Days the Bear Eats You. ;D

Sailor

LOL at CGR......I think I read somewhere around here that they are done when they are done......And boy ain't that the truth.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

lumpy

Way to go SNC
I will be over this afternoon to pick some up for the party tonight ;)

Talk to you in the New Year.

Lumpy

watchdog56

Glad everything turned out. I am looking for a good venison summer sausage recipe. Care to share?

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 31, 2010, 02:20:55 PM
Glad everything turned out. I am looking for a good venison summer sausage recipe. Care to share?

Sorry have been busy.  I used a pre-made seasoning from a company here in Ontario(Canadian Butcher Supply).
I really like it and everyone who has tried it seems to like it as well.