• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hi Mountain Jerky Cure/Seasoning

Started by Big_T, December 31, 2010, 09:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

I have 3.5 pounds of beef that has been sitting in the fridge for almost 24 hours with the amount of cure/seasoning that the package suggested.  I am about ready to preheat my OBS and get it going.  I do have a question about cooking/smoking times.  Should I follow the directions and smoke it at 200 degrees F for 2 hours or has anyone with a OBS found a different time and heat temp works better?  Thanks!!

REPO

I'd like to know as well!  I have my jerky sitting on the racks with my brand new smoker warming up as we speak!  Also doing the High Mountain pepper cure, with a batch of High Mountain Inferno blend in the fridge.

I am going to try Oak I think, but would Mesquite be better?

Big_T

I am using the Hickory Blend and intend on using hickory pucks for smoking if that makes a difference on smoke/cook time.

FLBentRider

200F will work, or you could do 180F

You will want to rotate the racks front to back and top to bottom every hour or so.

Apply 2 hours of smoke, and continue @180-200F until your jerky bends but does not break.

Take a sample or two when you rotate.

I put on an hour of smoke @180F and then into the dehydrator @145F for about 6 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Big_T

Thanks for the advice!  Perfect timing as my phone alarm just started going off telling me it is time to put it in.

Big_T

One other quick thing.  Do you suggest flipping the beef over as it is smoking?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Big_T on December 31, 2010, 10:30:41 AM
One other quick thing.  Do you suggest flipping the beef over as it is smoking?

I never have. Seems like too much work.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

At 200 degrees you're beginning to cook the jerky rather than drying it.  Not saying there is anything wrong with that method.  I have 10 pounds of ground deer jerky going in the dehydrator at 155 degrees as we speak.

REPO

Well I got mine all done, it turned out pretty good, except for a few pieces on the bottom rack near the bottom.  I had swapped the racks a couple times, but never turned them.  Clearly on the next batch I will turn the back side towards the door as I move the racks about.

Not bad for my first batch!

Big_T

Mine turned out pretty decent as well.  I had trouble getting it up to temp.  It was like 10 degrees out and I had it right on the inside of my garage.  About half way through I shut the garage door most the way and was able to get another 40 degrees or so.  I do think that I need to invest in a meat slicer through.  I had the meat guy at the grocery slice up a roast for me and he used a knife and was not very consistent.  So some of it could have used a little more time drying and some was maybe just a little too dry.  But I guess overall it was a win.

KItsapSteve

Good for you, I found as I experiment , I get a good track of times and when to turn them,,, I have filled my 6 Rack DBS and took for every,, but the jerky was very good...

tues6694

Hello, the way i do my jerky is i slice the roast thin, hi mountain seasoning, smoke in the smoker with no heat just 20 minutes of flavored pucks of my choice then i dehyderate  the meat in the dehyderator for 6 to 8 hours or so. I do not flip the jerky in the smoker  or rotate the racks.