• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New smoker arrived but smoke generated is not heating up

Started by knightsmoker, December 31, 2010, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightsmoker

My new smoker is here ribs ready and biscuits not getting hot, how hot should the biscuit heating plate be.
The biscuits just fall into the water and sizzle a little but no smoke.
It also seemed to take a long time to preheat to 150.
Hopefully not a sign of things to come
??? ??? >:(

lumpy

lumpy

Oh ya.............welcome to the forum.
Hopefully you should have this problem solved soon.

Lumpy

SL2010

knightsmoker welcome what ever you do dont touch the hot plate with your finger (like i did the first time it happened to me) double check the wire from the smoke gen to the cabinet mine was not in fully and that fixed the problem have fun and everyone loves pics

ArnieM

Hi KS and welcome to the forum.

Preheat the unit, both the SG and cabinet heaters on BEFORE you add any pucks.

Many of us put boiling water in the water bowl when starting up.  It helps the preheat time some.

As said, make sure your power cord connections are well seated.

Feel free to get back to us.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

knightsmoker

Rechecked all plugs and got a little heat on smoke generator plate but now when I turn the cabinet heat switch up the power light on the cabinet turns off and if I just move the black slide switch up and down it goes on and off.  I'm baffled???

TestRocket

Are you using an extension cord and is it an OBS or DBS? 

GusRobin

The power light (round light on the smoke generator) should be lit when you plug in the unit. The smoke generatoralso  has a switch that you can turn on and off. The switch should be lit when the smoke gen is on. If not on, toggle the switch to make sure it is in the "on" position. The temperature control slider when slid all the way to the right will be full on, and the round light on the cabinet should be lit. If you push the slide to the left it will turn off at one point. If it is allthe way to the left it will stay off. If it is somewhere in the middle, the it will turn on and off to keep the temp heated at the selected temp.

Does yours do the above?Do you have you vent open?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Are the biscuits turning black and is you main element glowing red?

It is normal for the biscuits to still be intact (should be black) when they fall into the water bowl and if the 125 watt hot plate wasn't warmed up during the preheat it may take a biscuit or two for it to be hot enough to be working efficiently.

Also the Bradley's main element is only 500 watts (like 5ea 100 watt light bulbs) so low and slow is what you're going to get. With 3 racks of ribs it's going to take a while for the cabinet to recover from that kind of heat load so just let it do its thing.

One more thing is the door thermometer is known to be 20 degs or more off. So if you have a digital probe place it below the rack holding the lowest rack of meat (use paper clips or something like that) to get a better idea of what the cabinet temp really is.

Good Luck and I'll check back again real soon to see if you have any other questions!

BuyLowSellHigh

Welcome to the forum knightsmoker!

Hope you have things worked out and you're enjoying a working smoker.  The folks here who know the OBS will surely help you out (I have the DBS).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

knightsmoker

I just got the new biscuit burner in and seasoning now bring on the meat!!!!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: knightsmoker on January 06, 2011, 10:18:46 AM
I just got the new biscuit burner in and seasoning now bring on the meat!!!!

Great for you and Happy Smoking!

TestRocket

So it was the burner! Glad to see you got things worked out!    ;D