• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Montreal Smoked Meat (a.k.a. - Another Day, Another Deli...)

Started by squirtthecat, December 31, 2010, 05:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

There is a 'Montreal Jewish' deli a couple blocks from where we are staying, so I popped in for lunch.

One of their specialties is 'Montreal Smoked Meat'.    Ok - that got my attention.

I worked my way down the counter so I could sit in front of the guy doing the carving - and try to chat him up a bit.
(forgive the blurry pics, I had the flash off so I didn't blind him)

Brisket.  Check.

Rye bread and stone ground mustard.  Check.

Nice stacking...   He almost made a lattice-work of meat so the sammie didn't collapse.

And here is mine.   Simple.   Came with a bottle of Artisan Root Beer.

I asked him while he was working...    Isn't this just Pastrami?

[cue reaction]

NO!  This is different.

He didn't elaborate much, but I did get out of them it is a 14 day cured brisket, Oak smoked (not partially smoked then steamed), with a different blend of spices that a 'pastrami' would normally have.

I tore into it, and I would agree.  It wasn't pastrami.  Not even close.    Hard to explain - but it was very different.   Not peppery at all, and I can't figure out what else was added/missing. 

It was almost 'rich' in flavor.  Dare I say - 'French'?   

I don't think there was any rub on it, the bark was just from the smoke.  I nibbled on a bit of the edges, and I didn't pick up any extra flavors rubbed on.

All in all, a very interesting, and tasty, lunch.

FLBentRider

Holy cow!

The 2010 STC NY Deli Tour!

I want a T-shirt with all the locations on the back.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

That would be a two day meal for me!

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 31, 2010, 05:21:51 PM
Holy cow!

And the Saga continues ..............

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 31, 2010, 05:11:27 PM...NO!  This is different.

I think (not willing to fall on my sword about it) that Montreal smoked meat is dry-cured and uses a different spice mix (more "eastern European") versus pastrami (brine-cured and more "Italian" spices).

carnie1

Did a quick Google for Montreal Smoked Meat and here are a few results    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/brewburgers--old-fashioned-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe/index.html
http://www.food.com/recipe/montreal-smoked-meat-sandwich-112308
Duh how'd I miss this one? http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?281-Montreal-Smoked-Meat&p=436  Habs has it covered
This hit is from another forum so I'll just post what I found
Flavor Brine Cure Pumped Method
Trimmed 12lb flat (trimmed weight), leave 1/2" fat cap on if possible.

Spice Mix
3 Tbsp peppercorns
1 Tbsp dill seed
2 tsp corriander seed
1/2 Tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
2 Tbsp dehyd minced garlic
1 Tbsp dehyd minced onion
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Brine Cure
4800ml water
200g salt
80g prague #1

Triple ingrediants for spice mix. Beat up seeds and peppercorns with mortar and pestle (not to powder).

Add spice mix to brine, bring to boil, remove from heat.

Strain brine with fine mesh strainer. Chill below 40ºF, inject 15% of brisket mass (in grams) in milliliters. eg 12lb brisket = 5500g * .15 = 825ml of solution to pump

Soak 4 days submerged in remaining brine cure. Agitate/flip daily.

Remove from brine cure, blot dry, place on tray in fridge and allow to air dry while doing next steps.

Make another batch of spice mix. This time toast the peppercorns and dill seeds together over medium heat for a couple of minutes (until fragrant). Repeat with coriander and fennel (these don't take as long). Repeat with celery seed and mustard if desired, but these take less time again, remaining heat in pan seems to do the trick.

Coarsely crush all ingredients with mortar and pestle, not too coarse but not to powder either. Mix well.

Apply rub fairly heavy to exterior (I skip fat areas). Push rub into place firmly with the back of a spoon.

Smoke approximately 6 hours at 225ºF to 140ºF - 150ºF internal over maple and/or birch.

I revisited MSM and tried flavor brine cured with injection and it's extremely good. Much faster, better flavor throughout and better color this way than with dry cure (this turned out more red less pink).

I had a huge flat, about 12 pounds trimmed to use this time. I brine/cured it whole after injecting, then decided before smoking to cut it in half for more rub & smoke surface area.

I smoked 1/2 until 150ºF internal, the other 1/2 to 165ºF internal. The difference on the 165ºF chunk was 5 hours, double the time of the 150ºF chunk. Lower was clearly better in this case. More smoking didn't make it more tender, it just got drier.

Serve hot on rye with mustard and a sour dill pickle.

I am extremely pleased by the results. The flavor is excellent but it still needs some process improvement to be more tender AND moist.

DRY CURE METHOD - Last Updated April 30/2006

My second attempt at Montreal Smoked Meat turned out very well, couldn't be happier with it. I used a flavored dry cure method for 15 days then smoked for 12 hours at 200ºF - 225ºF with birch (bark removed) and maple to an internal temp of 165ºF.

Pics Here click link to 2006-04-24 Montreal Smoked Meat

Montreal Spice Mix Base (no salt)
3 Tbsp peppercorns
1 Tbsp dill seed
2 tsp corriander seed
1/2 Tbsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp fennel seed
2 Tbsp dehyd minced garlic
1 Tbsp dehyd minced onion
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

Toast first 6 ingrediants over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes
grind coarsely with mortar and pestel, add remaining 3 ingrediants. *Add hickory smoked salt to taste for a great ready to use spice mix for grilling.

Mix amount of Morton Tender Quick per brisket weight as directed on package with 1 Tbsp Turb sugar and amount of desired spice mix, apply evenly over meat side (not on fat cap side).

Allow brisket to cure at least 5 days per inch of thickness in 40º or less fridge. Agitate and flip daily.

Remove brisket and rinse thoroughly, soak for 3 hours in cold water, changing water several times. Blot dry with paper towels. Apply spice mix base liberally over meat side. Cook fat side down to internal temp of 165ºF. Foil and rest in dry cooler at least 1 hour (fat side up). Allow to cool somewhat on the counter and refrigerate.

To reheat before serving wrap tightly in foil and place in oven or steam slices for a short time. Serve in rye bread with lots of cheap yellow mustard and a dill pickle.

**I added some liquid and vacuum bagged during the 'dry' cure (I have a 1060 with instant seal to prevent liquid from being sucked up). It was a pain, next time I'll just use a marinating container. But it went something like this:

1/2 C de-alc red wine
1/2 C Water
1 Tbsp Mortons Tender Quick

Mix liquids and Tender Quick. Dump into vacuum bag and freeze. Put brisket in vacuum bag, carefully vacuum and seal.

Habanero Smoker

Carnie,

Those look like some interesting recipes. I tend to lean towards the uncured recipes for Montreal Smoked Meat with the double or triple smoked bacon, but I'm tempted to give one of your recipes or variation a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 31, 2010, 05:28:27 PM

Holy cow!

i cant wait to see where he goes next

BuyLowSellHigh

Seems to me he has set the stage for a mandatory trip to Montreal and Schwartz's to address the ongoing debates about MSM vs. Pastrami and Schwartz's vs. Katz.  All in the name of research, of course.    ;)

While he is at it he could also tackle the NY vs Montreal bagel debate.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

GusRobin

Quote from: SL2010 on January 01, 2011, 06:30:57 AM

Holy cow!

Jenny Craig
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

squirtthecat

Quote from: GusRobin on January 01, 2011, 08:46:46 AM
Quote from: SL2010 on January 01, 2011, 06:30:57 AM

Holy cow!

Jenny Craig

LOL.

Back on my Miller Lite and Baked Lays diet!

Heading home today...

SL2010

Have a safe return trip and glad you had a good time in the big city how was the storm over there

squirtthecat

Home safe now.  3 of us, and 2 of our suitcases.  (MIL's is AWOL)   Oops.  It is still in Chicago, and winging it's way down to Springfield in the morning.  They will deliver it to our house sometime in the AM.

Chili Head

Looks like some fine eats you got your hands on there Squirtthecat  ;D