• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rose Bowl Parade Snacks

Started by Caneyscud, January 01, 2011, 10:42:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

One of the highlights of my year is to watch the Rose Bowl Parade.  On my bucket list it is to volunteer and to see the parade first hand.  The last few years, on New Years Eve, I've gone to a Russian food store and bought caviar and other goodies.  This is this year's spread.

Left of flute - front to rear
Dubliner Cheese
Smoked Cheddar
Hungarian Gyulai Sausage
Alpino Salami
Ritz
Delice Double Cream Brie

Middle - front to rear
Ritz, cream cheese, and Salmon Roe Caviar - yum, i love this stuff
Gran Queso cheese
Sopressata
Muenster cheese
Hungarian Karaj  (Heaven in your mouth - no fooling fantastic, fantastic fantisttic - like pork lox - melts in     
       your mouth literally, Velvet on the tongue and smokey)
Champagne (cheap - the way my wife likes it)
Cheese curds
Biscuit

Right of flute - front to rear
Russian pickled wild mushrooms
Kabano sausage
Calamari Jerky
Queen Olives
Basterma
Ritz
Gran Queso

This is just the snacks for the meal Smoked Country Style ribs, Black-eyed peas, Skillet country cornbread with goat butter, Mock Eel, Turnip Greens, Cesear Salad. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Damn, what a layout.

Aint never herd of half of the stuff but it sure looks gooood.  ;D

car54

That looks great! Enjoy the game.

Brad from Wisconsin

SouthernSmoked

NICE!

╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*"˜˜"*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ NEW YEAR ☆ 2011
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ☆★✾◕‿◕✾
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

3rensho

Mighty fine spread ya got there Carney.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

BuyLowSellHigh

Saw this and about fell out of my chair.  That looks awesome!  Never heard of Calamari Jerky before.

Having a Dutch wife, who at one time worked in a specialty eel restaurant, I have to ask you about the Mock Eel. What is it?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on January 02, 2011, 07:51:49 AM
Saw this and about fell out of my chair.  That looks awesome!  Never heard of Calamari Jerky before.

Having a Dutch wife, who at one time worked in a specialty eel restaurant, I have to ask you about the Mock Eel. What is it?

Calamari Jerky - found it at the Russian store.  Dried squid, but still chewy - slightly sweet.

Mock Eel

1.  First find a live eel - hardest part
2.  Put the eel in a big aquarium
3.  In preparation gather all your friends.
4.  Get all your friends to stand around the aquarium
5.  Have all your fiends yell insults at the poor eel.  You know, mocking things like "my how pointy a tail you have"  and (oo-lala what slender....um.....uhh....everything you have",  "boy that must be handy being able to see inside a Swiss cheese!" ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously - its a veggy Chinese dish.

There is a mock eel sushi that uses marinated shiitake.  This is not it.
I saw this dish on one of those "Best Thing I Ever Ate" shows.  Did not have a recipe so made it up. Take a big portabello mushroom.  Use a sharp knife to cut a continuous spiral of 3/4" wide and thick strip out of the portabello cap.  Sorta like when you try to peel an apple in one continuous peel.  The mushroom will break up but that's ok.  Heat oil in a small pot for shallow deep frying at 350 to 400.  Run water on a handful of the mushroom.  Let drain some, then toss in flour to coat well.  I use seasoned flour, but I guess cornstarch might be better.   Fry till crispy and golden.  Remove and drain and put in bowl.  In separate bowl I make a small amount of some sort of sweet oriental sauce.  I've done it with sweet and sour, but like it better with a teriyaki with the addition of heat (pepper), garlic, and ginger.  My favorite way was to mix some Sriracha sauce with little hoison and some plum vineger.  Mix the sauce in with the fried mushrooms.  Pretty tasty.  Next time I make it I'm going to try to put the mixture of sauce and mushroom back in a pan and heat it through - possibly driving the sauce into the mushroom.  I guess the big chunks of mushroom strips makes one think of chopped fried eel.  Whatever, it is pretty tasty.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"