New to smoking and the OBS

Started by Big_T, December 29, 2010, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

Hello All!

I have been smoking a little with my charcoal grill with some success.  My in-laws where gracious enough to get me a OBS for X-mas.  I have seasoned the smoker but have not smoked anything yet and have one quick question about it.  With the smoke generator after you advance the first puck onto the element does it automatically advance a puck every 20 minutes or so or do i need to intervene besides refilling the feeder tube?  Thanks for your help!

TMB

Welcome to the forum! 
If I understand the question right, yes it will pop a new puck out every 20 min's.  I love my OBS and look forward to many a year using it.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

GusRobin

Quote from: Big_T on December 29, 2010, 07:34:14 PM
With the smoke generator after you advance the first puck onto the element does it automatically advance a puck every 20 minutes or so or do i need to intervene besides refilling the feeder tube?  Thanks for your help!

It is rare that you will need to refill the tube during a smoke. Most folks don't smoke the whole time. Usually 3-4 hours is enough no matter what you are smoking. (Except a ham which took 8 hours of smoke.)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Welcome Big_T,

You have to hit the advance button three times to get a puck on the burner plate. Once on is there it will do it's thing after that!

Big_T

I am sure I will have many more questions to come as i try to perfect the art and can see these forums/community are a welcoming place for people like me.  Take care and thanks for the quick replies!

starship

Welcome Big_t

Enjoy that OBS, but warning, Good BBQ can be adicting!
Amazing Ribs
http://www.amazingribs.com/index.html

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Big_T!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kinyo

Welcome to the forum, you'll love your new smoker!!!

mow_delon

Welcome to the Forum Big_T!  You will love the help and info that can be found here thanks to the wonderful members on this forum.  As GusRobin said, though, 3 hours of smoke is all that most people use with the Bradley, so refilling the feeder tube is pretty much a mute point.  I did smoke the whole time my first smoke and not only did I use like 20 pucks, the chicken tasted like an ashtray!

Big_T

Thanks for the advice on smoke times!  Ashtray taste is something that I am not looking for.  Though I am sure that is just fine for others but not this guy.  ;D  I have limited smoking experience on a charcoal grill just doing ribs and salmon.  Ribs turned out better than average but nothing to brag about.  My salmon on the other hand turned out absolutely fantastic!  I have done it about 10 times so far.  I am not a smoked salmon fan but this was absolutely unlike any other I have tasted before.  I don't think it was so much the smoking but the brine I concocted.  If anyone is interested let me know and I can post what I use for the brine.  After I get a hang of the OBS I will give it a try but until then I won't experiment on $40 worth of fish.

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

Welcome Big_T.  Try a boston butt for your first smoke to make pulled pork.  They are very forgiving.

BuyLowSellHigh

Welcome to the forum Big_T!

Keep hanging around here and you'll soon be addicted.

Be sure and check out the companion recipe site
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

If you like salmon there is a whole section on the matter.  Many of the folks here swear by Kummok's "Excellent BRADLEY Smoked Alaskan Salmon" recipe.

Remember, we like lots of pics !
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Big_T

Thanks for the welcome.  I brefly browsed susanminor.org and have to say I will be visiting it more often for ideas!  Great site!!!!

As far as my salmon goes it is really unique.  I added a post in the fish section for those that are interested.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=20143.0