Smoked Salmon using Heinz 57 Steak Sauce

Started by Big_T, January 02, 2011, 11:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

Hello All!  I wanted to share my smoked salmon recipe so others can enjoy it as I have.  I have only done it with a charcoal grill but i am sure it can be done in a smoker.  Below is the brine recipe using Heinz 57 steak sauce which I think really makes this one special.

Brine:
-    4 cups blush white wine
-    1 cup water
-       1 cup of apple juice
-    1 cup brown sugar
-    1 cup kosher salt
-    1/3 bottle Heinz 57 Steak Sauce (big bottle) or one whole small bottle.
-    1 lime
-    1 lemon
-    1 orange
Mix wine, water, salt, sugar, and steak sauce together in large mixing bowl.  Take lime, lemon, and orange and cut them into 4ths.  Squeeze juice into bowl with other ingredients.  Save 4ths to put into brine with salmon.
Mix all ingredients very well.  Make sure salt and sugar dissolve in mixture. 
Take salmon after washing and place skin side up in Tupperware container.  Try not to stack the salmon.  If not enough room for salmon in one container place them into 2.  (I have been buying the salmon fillets from Cub Foods.  I have been doing 4 smaller fillets at one time.) 
Once salmon is in container pour brine over them.  Place left over lime/lemon/orange in with the salmon.  Let rest in fridge covered for at least 24 hours.

Grill:
I only use a charcoal grill.  I only use real hardwood charcoal.  Not the brickets.  You can buy real hardwood charcoal at Ace Hardware and Menards.  For the smoke I also only use applewood chips.  Make sure they soak in water for at least one hour before using.
Once the charcoal is going move to outside of the grill for indirect grilling.  For temperatures you want to maintain a medium-low temp.  I usually gauge by holding my hand 4" above grate and should be able to hold it there for 5-6 seconds before having to move it.  Place applewood chips on coals.  One cup per side. 
Place salmon skin side down on grill down on center of grill (never flipping).  Spray with apple juice and cover grill up.  Add wood chips and spray salmon with apple juice every 20-30 minutes.  Spray good amount of apple juice every time.
Watch heat and add charcoal as needed.  Cook salmon for at least 3 hours before taking off.  Internal temperature of salmon should be 145-155 degrees.

DTAggie

Sounds pretty darn good.  Run it in your Bradley and let us know what you think..with pics of course.

Big_T

I really want to try it but I think I might have to wait until it is warmer.  I am having trouble keeping my Bradley up to temp in the cold weather we are having.  With having to open it up every 20 minutes to spray with apple juice it will make it really tough.  I think spraying it that often is a key part as the apple juice almost caramelizes on the fish which I think really adds to it.  Living in Minnesota I will have probably until March to deal with this problem.

DTAggie

Yep that would be a problem with weather you guys are having