• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newb in DFW

Started by lbskis, January 02, 2011, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbskis

Bought a digital 6 rack today and got her seasoned.

I am going to smoke a 9 lb brisket tomorrow and am wondering if there is a "standard" time to use per pound. Never having done this before, I am guess an hour per pound or so?

Thanks for any help.

GusRobin

cook it until it reaches 185* internal temp then pull and FTC for about 2 hrs. You are probably looking at more like 1.5 to  2 hrs per lb.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

lbskis

Thanks again, you replied to my last question as well.

I guess I will run buy an internal thermometer in the morning. Have a recommendation on that?

DTAggie

Hey lbskis, I am in McKinney.  1.5 to 2.0 hrs per lb is a gauge, but meat is done when it is done.  You really need a probe to read internal temp.  I like to take a brisket to an IT of 185* measured about mid-point of the flat.  Keeps the end of the flat from drying out.  Then FTC for a few hours and you will be amazed.

GusRobin

I have the maverick 73 but if you buy one buy the newer version the ET 732. But any decent remote thermometer will do.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

DTAggie

I have a Polder that reads IT and cabinet temp from one probe.  It is pretty handy.  Usually insert into meat from underside so it reads IT but reads the cabinet temp just below the meat. I picked that one up a Cabelas.  I also have another one, can't remember brand, that only reads IT.  You really need to be able to read both cabinet temp and IT.

lbskis

Thanks for the help, but what does FTC stand for? I am really new at this, sorry.

GusRobin

When the meat is done, take it out and double (or even triple) wrap it in Foil (can add a little juice or other liquid); Wrap that in an old Towel; then put in a Cooler (no ice) (thus FTC) for a couple of hours.

If you don't have a cooler you can put in a microwave (don't turn it on)

DTAggie

After the meat reaches the internal temp (IT) you want, remove and wrap tightly in foil.  Then wrap in a towell and place in a cooler.  It allows the juices to set in the meat and also helps you with timing on serving if meat is done early.  I have held a brisket in FTC for 5 hours and was still steaming when I opened the foil.

The meat will continue to cook when first foiled that is why I pull a brisket at 185* and butt at 200* to 202*.

You can also place the foil/towell in the microwave.

What part of DFW you in?

hal4uk

Hi there, lbskis!

The reason you need a thermometer with a probe is that you don't want to be opening the door all time to check the internal temp... 

Some of them just have a probe you run inside the smoker and set the unit on top or next to the smoker, while others have an additional wireless unit (so you can see the temp from wherever -- like while you're watching football), and some also have the additional probe for checking the cabinet temp.

Anyhow, yes, a regular meat thermometer does the same thing, but requires you to open the door every time you want to check it, which loses your heat/moisture/smoke, and also risks overshooting your target temp.  So, for the moment, all you really "need" is a unit with a temp probe.

That said...  When you decide to get a good one --- the Maverick ET-732, as Gus suggested looks real nice (I'm going to buy one of those soon).  Also, another tool to consider is a digital "instant read" thermometer (google "Thermoworks").  The purpose of this is generally just a double-check.  When your probe tells you your brisket/butt/whatever has reached your desired temp, it's a good idea to double-check with an instant-read before you you pull it.  This might sound like overkill, but there are a number of reasons to do this -- first, your temp probe and/or unit could just be faulty.  Second, it could be that you inserted the probe too far (or not enough) and didn't really get a good read.  Or, maybe you hit a fat pocket or something that threw you off.

What I'm really trying to get across, since you said that you were new to this, is that, with larger cuts of meat, the IT (Internal Temperature) is vital to know.  Otherwise, you're just driving blindfolded.

Hope this helps.
Happy Smokin'.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

lbskis

That helps me alot. Thanks for the information, I am preheating and I hope to report how well the brisket turns out tomorrow. I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

lbskis

I am in Trophy Club, southeast corner of Grapevine Lake. Thanks for the help, I didnt realize everything there was to know, but I am sure looking forward to starting.

Another question, do you put the brisket directly onto the racks or info a tray?

Thanks in advance....

GusRobin

I put them directly on the rack

Caneyscud

Welcome Ibskis.  The others have you fixed up on your questions.  Just wanted to welcome you to the the Fun of Brabley.  One of my roommates when I was in College Station was from Grapevine - lived on the lake somewhere - and dated a Miss Grapevine a couple of times - wish I could remember her name - never seen anyone where so much makeup - and her hair was crispy - I thought it might break iff'n I touched it!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DTAggie

Now that is funny Caney.

Put the brisket right on the rack.  Will give you a good bark that way.