• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Second Element Failure!!!

Started by TonyL222, January 03, 2011, 05:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyL222

This is the second one to fail since my OBS purchase in late October.  Failed right in the middle of a prime rib smoke.  Luckily, I had completed about 3.5hrs of a planned 4hr smoke, so I just finished in the oven.  Had been cooking with a cabin temp of 200.  Watching a game and went to check.  Temp had dropped to 137 - then 136. 

I'm pretty sure it's the element.  Plug directly from cabin to the wall and the power indicator lights up, but element doesn't heat up (same as last time).  I'll call Bradley this morning.  They respond quickly - but this is getting to be a turn off.    :'(

I can see the value of that Maverick remote temp monitor now.

lumpy

Sorry to hear about your element failures. Bradley goes above and beyond satisfiying the customers.

Just a suggestion............get a spare element.

Lumpy

RAF128

Have you checked the wires inside you SG.   The element in my 6 rack didn't work right out of the box.    It was suggested here that I check inside the SG.   Sure enough, one of the wires had come off.
Haven't had a problem since.

TonyL222

Quote from: lumpy on January 03, 2011, 06:40:46 AM
Just a suggestion............get a spare element.

Lumpy

Thought about that, but didn't want to pay for a spare while I'm still under warranty and should get free replacements parts.  Maybe I can talk Bradley into sending me two.

QuoteHave you checked the wires inside you SG.

The SG is working fine.  It's the main heat element in the cabinet that's cold as ice.

leftcoast smoker

just had the same issue in a DBS with a full load of sticks in it just before xmas, had to finish in the oven in the house, (sure smelled good in here for a few hours)
luckily enough I was able to pick up a new one from Bradley locally here and actually did buy a spare one as well, only problem was I ended up installing them both by doing the mod, I figured at least this way if one fails again at least the second should be able to keep up, and now I have much faster recovery times to boot

TestRocket

leftcoast smoker, I like your approach of installing your second element and considering it as a possible backup already in place just in case of an element failure!

Tony, might be something to keep in mind!

TonyL222

Quote from: TestRocket on January 03, 2011, 03:30:00 PM
leftcoast smoker, I like your approach of installing your second element and considering it as a possible backup already in place just in case of an element failure!

Tony, might be something to keep in mind!

Yeah, I've thought about the mod as well but holding off until the one year warranty is over.  Besides, I shouldn't have to worry about an element failure every third smoke.

kcwatt

My question is...........
Why are the elements burning out so soon??  From the posts, a lot are still under warranty!!  Mine is out and I've hardly used it!!  Got my unit 12/19/2009, used it to process deer sausage last year and now this year it goes out?  If this is a trend, if the unit was used on a regular basis.....  Who could afford the "PARTS" bill??

RFT

That is a great question!  

Anyone from the head office like to chime in on this as to why the elements are going bad.   

If it is a bad batch then why are some of the replacement elements are going bad or are they part of the same batch??

Is there something else causing the element to go bad electrically and is Bradley looking into the cause?

although mine is still under warranty I just bought a replacement from Yard and Pool just to have one "just in case"

Just asking. :)
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

TonyL222

Just my observation from reading this board, but most of the element failures seem to be from fairly recent purchases - and after only a couple of uses.  That leads me to consider that its a bad batch or quality issue.  I hope that Bradley is looking into this and talking with its supplier (maybe even changed suppliers if warranted).  It doesn't help me to keep sending bad elements.

I use and Auber PID.  Any possible relation there to the element failures?

GusRobin

My OBS is a year and a month old. I have been using an auber PID for all that time and have not had any problems. I think it is the elements.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SamuelG

Mine went after just a month of usage!  Thanks  BLSH I was able to save the day while Bradley sent the replacement.  I must say that the customer service was superb!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

pwaldman

My second element just went out also!  Only had the OBS since Oct and the new element since mid Nov.  Bradley is sending me a new one but that doesn't help much when you are in the middle of a smoke >:(.  Great customer service but would be even better if they instituted preventive measures when there are alot of customer complaints!

Pete

TonyL222

So, I received my replacement element yesterday, along with a fusbale link(???):

Where and how do I install this gizmo?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

You also have a high temperature sensor. Bradley covered all bases in case it was not the element. To install those two parts you need to take off the back cover off the cabinet. Once that back cover is off, you will see how easy it is to replace those two part.

But you may not need those two parts. First try installing the element, if after installing that and it works you don't have to install the other parts. Save them in case you need then in the future.

If the element does not work after it has been installed, then install both the in line fuse and the temperature sensor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)