• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First try at ribs

Started by D1ESEL09, January 08, 2011, 03:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1ESEL09

Smoking my first ribs in my new OBS everything is looking good so far. Used TenPoint5 3-2-1 method, also used his recipe for the rub and found it was easy enough to do. So far we are past the 3 hrs. of smoking and now have wrapped in foil to finish up. Will be skipping the BBQ sauce step, nobody in family likes, so will continue cooking until they are done. Will post pictures of the days worth of fun at a later time after I have enjoyed my first successful smoke. I will say GO SAINTS, even though I'm from Iowa and will enjoy my supper.     

wyoduke

I skip that step also family feels the same
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Keymaster

Wife don't like sauce either and I like a thin coat but dont like to wear the sauce. Gotta go with The SeaChickens since I live in Washington  ;D I'd like to see them picks as I purchased my Bradley basically for Jerky, Salmon and sausagesb ut would like to try some ribs  ;)

D1ESEL09

Into hour number 5 and smells really good. Meat therm. says we are real close to eating. Time to get the tators cooked, and fill up on some good eats. Middle daughter who is 16 has been helping me all day and says her mouth is watering while she waits. Hopefully I won't disappoint her.

adriandb

I hope your ribs turned out as good as mine. I did my first Bradley smoked ribs this afternoon and they were fantastic.

Austin smoker

Hello,

Got my smoker for Christmas and working on my ribs today as well. May be a silly question but do you need to soak the Bradley bisquettes in water before using?  Also what is the ideal temp and time to use on pork ribs?

KyNola

NO NO NO!  The pucks will disintegrate if they get wet!  There is no "ideal" time nor temp.  I would go for around 225.  You know the ribs are done when you begin to see the meat slipping back off of the end of the bones.  Could take as long as 6-7 hours, depending on the cut of ribs and the pig it came off of.  Also, you don't have to smoke the entire time.  The Bradley smoke is a much purer condensed type of smoke so it doesn't require a full 6-7 hours of smoke.  Start with around 2 hours and 40 minutes and see how you like the taste of smoke intensity.  Too much?  Back off the smoke time next time.  Too little?  Increase the smoke period next time.  It's all up to your taste.

Austin smoker

Ok, thanks for the advice!!

KyNola

My pleasure my friend.  Welcome to the party!

Mr Walleye

I don't like a whole bunch of sauce on ribs either. But I do like the flavor of a light, thin sauce, kinda more of a glaze.

I take a decent BBQ sauce and cut it with apple juice to a point where it just leaves a translucent coat on a spoon. I also add 3 or 4 table spoons of brown sugar as well as a little shot of what ever rub I used on the ribs. I usually brush on at least a couple of coats on them. They turn out really good this way.

Just my 2 cents....

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

D1ESEL09

My ribs turned out pretty good ;D, but family decided I used a little to much rub. I cooked and smoked for 3 hrs then wrapped in foil and bacon on top then cooked for 3 more hrs. My garage was about 25 degrees the whole time I cooked and my internal temp. stayed between 200-225 degrees the whole time. I was pretty happy about that :). I will get pictures on here if somebody will tell me how.

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Caneyscud

Quote from: D1ESEL09 on January 09, 2011, 02:14:28 PM
My ribs turned out pretty good ;D, but family decided I used a little to much rub.
Congrats!  Too much rub on ribs is pretty easy to do.  One reason, I'm not a great big fan of Memphis Dry ribs.  There are some places who put on way too much rub.  All that rub gets in the way of the exquisite taste of the smoked meat. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Quote from: D1ESEL09 on January 08, 2011, 03:24:47 PM
I will say GO SAINTS, even though I'm from Iowa and will enjoy my supper.     

What part of Iowa you from? I'm in the NE Corner south of Dubuque
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!