Not getting warm enough

Started by bigmikey, January 12, 2011, 10:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmikey

does anyone ever have this problem?

when I warmed up the OBS, inside a shop that was 74 degrees, i reached a temp of about 280 pretty quickly.  I opened to put in meat, 2 chickens, 1 rack of ribs and 3 pieces of salmon. It dropped to 150 and never got up past 185 after 4 hours before I opened it to change water. 

While my food seems to be cooking fine, and tastes great, everything I read on here says you guys cook at 215-235 or so.  I didnt take meat directly from fridge to smoker, I let it warm up before putting it in.  Used boiling water in pan at bottom.  I cant turn the OBS any higher as its already maxed out. 

The first 2 times I used it, I thought it wouldnt get any warmer because its so cold outside.  This time it was 74-76 controlled temp the whole time. 

FLBentRider

How / where are you measuring the temperature?

If you are relying on the door thermometer, and you have food below the probe, the food will have a cooling effect and give you a false low reading.

I put the probe of my thermometer below the lowest rack of food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

You've put a lot in there.    A couple of questions. What are you using to check the temp?  The thermometer in the door or do you have a temp probe hanging in the cabinet?  Location of probe will make a difference.   How cold was the meat, chickens, ribs and salmon?     Meat temp will keep the temp down.    As the temp of meat rises, the temp of Bradley will go up.  

Up In Smoke

Are you using a remote thermo to watch the cabinet temp
or the door thermo?
Also i have noticed with mine (4 rack OBS) if i place food near the door thermo
it will reflect the food temp. this is why i use the PID for watching temps.

Looks like FLB beat me to it  :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

SoCalBuilder

Bigmikey - I have noticed the same thing with my OBS. I use the PID  to monitor the box temp and I hang it below the bottom rack at the front. I'm wondering if it would be more accurate near the center of the box, but when you have to rotate trays, it's a pain to deal with the probe, period. I caught myself hangine the probe over the door hinge to get it out of the way while I was re-racking jerky this weekend, and forgetting to put it back :o Good thing I was checking every hour. I think I'm going to have to add the second element and see how that works out.

GusRobin

Was your vent open or closed? Also, as others have said, it depends on where you are measuring the temp.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bigmikey

Im just going off a couple thermometers that I put in there and the door one also.  They all read about the same.  I had one on the bottom rack, one in the middle and I used one every now and then sticking in from the top.  They were all pretty consistant with each other + or - 5 degrees, the one on bottom was usually 5 degrees warmer. My vent was wide open. 

Stupid question but whats a PID?

SoCalBuilder

No such a thing as a stupid question. A PID is an electeonic device that has one or two probes and can control the temp of the bradley, accept sequencing programs for setting different times, temps, etc. Also can control the smoke generator. Auber seems to be the most popular one around here. I'll look for there link, but someone will beat me to it ;D

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

DTAggie

If it got up to 280* quickly I am surprised to hear it will not reach a good temp with food inside, especially since you have it inside.  I can do a butt and a brisket with ambient temp below 50 and still be cranking 225* easily.  Something is weird there for sure.

Case

that PID there talking about comes with real poor instructions. Unless your real teche it can be dificult to use.

TedEbear

Quote from: Case on January 12, 2011, 08:59:58 PM
that PID there talking about comes with real poor instructions. Unless your real teche it can be dificult to use.

Plus, that particular one is rather expensive.  An Auber PID can be had for under $45.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: TedEbear on January 12, 2011, 09:27:31 PM

Plus, that particular one is rather expensive.  An Auber PID can be had for under $45.

Show us how. I'll watch.

TedEbear

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 12, 2011, 10:07:39 PMShow us how. I'll watch.

Sure thing: PID Controller for Bradley OBS

I used the same PID controller and SSR as the instructions, although I used a clip-on K-type thermocouple, also from Auber.  I will also be running a 1A chamber air fan off the high alarm output of the PID.  The alarm output has a 3A rating and I'll set it so that once the chamber temp gets to 100*F or higher the fan turns on and stays on until either the temp drops below 100*F or the power is turned off.

Mine is mounted inside the smoke generator box.

Blackhawk

While the DIY auber pid is certainly more cost effective, you should probably include the cost of all the other materials needed to make it work for comparison sake.

Quote from: TedEbear on January 12, 2011, 09:27:31 PM