• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

my new fridge rack LOOK

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, August 14, 2005, 12:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

I was out in the shop today building some racks and got an idea, a mini drying rack that will fit in your fridge, it will hold 2 racks and 2 drip pans if needed, or 4 racks inverted, it is 12" tall, <font size="2"><font color="blue">I need some input on this . How you would use it? and if you would use it?</font id="blue"> </font id="size2">i can maybe shave a 1/2 inch off the hieght.

ListerD

nsxbill

Rob, I like it.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Great idea!.

Though I don't have the refrigerator space (hoping to have more soon. Is there any way to modify the top of your design, so that another tray can go on the top. Such as remove the cross braces and the middle brace, the move the two long braces to the front and back - the way you did it just below the bottom self? Would it be too costly to add a few more shelf supports, so that one can adjust the height of where they want to place the shelves? Or maybe that could be a deluxe model?

I would use it not only as a drying rack, but as a rack to accommodate large amounts of fish or poultry parts that I am brining or marinading in zip lock bags. Someone posted the idea of using plastic wrap underneath the trays while apply dry rubs, then wrapping the entire trays in plastic, and placing them in the refrigerator. This would be ideal for that. I have been in a situation in which I wish I had some way to stack several trays of pre-made snacks, this would be prefect for that. It can be also utilized to carry large amounts of prepared food to where you are serving guests. This could be utilized in a variety of ways. Not just limited to the preparation of smoked foods.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

I would wonder about the dimensional stability if the top cross bars are removed to make room for another rack.

It is 12" tall but how deep and how wide? I would use it more for non-smokin' items than smokin'!

For example (I will not get into details at this time) there is a trick to making a hamburger tight like the ones you get in a fast food join. This rack (maybe a shorter one) would make that trick much easier on me.

EDIT the more I think about it there are many ways this rack--even one for just hamburgers and cut-up chicken (racks closer together) would be nice to have if I could get it into a freezer.

Given your talents with metal I bet you and Chez could work out something for the fan.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Could the cross bars be moved to the bottom under the drip pan?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

whitetailfan

Without doing any calculations or getting out a tape measure - by sight of your picture only - why can't you add cross bars to hold 4 racks in their normal configuration?  Looks like enough room.  I realize that if you are doing a butt or any decent sized piece of meat you wont fit four deep, but then you probably aren't going to do four racks of roast either?

Point being that I think this is more useful (to me anyway) than your full sized rack do to space and the ability to put it in the fridge.

Why limit your self to inverted racks if its possible to toss on two more supports.  I would use this mostly for fish and jerky, both of which should have no problem fitting into much tighter slots than you have in the pics.  If you want to invert later the user could, but I think you have a top-drawer design there Rob, keep working on it.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Oldman

WTF makes a good point. The more racks the better. if you got something larger then you just don't use all of the racks. Next I was looking at the feet. If you only had place in your refrig that was a wire rack then those feet will go through. I like the idea for sure.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

oldman the size is 12" tall x 10" wide x 15 1/2 long. didnt think about older fridges that have wire racks, but i think the only place would be bottom shelf, most fridges are glass shelves these days i think?

hab yes the bottom cross bars can be moved but would have to change a few other thing and redo my jig but can be done. why do you ask?

hab and WTF yes i could add 2 more support bars so it could hold 4 racks then it is your choice to put rack where it would work for your needs,, will work on that.

also you see in the photos above there are clips front and back to help hold the rack in when transporting to your smoker so if you trip they wont slide out, besides just used for drying it is made for loading your meat to keep in a nice spot with a drip pan to come to room temp then just carry out to your bradley,

when i started building the racks , i built 2 jigs

Arcs_n_Sparks

Rob,

Is the welding MIG or TIG? Very nice job.

Arcs_n_Sparks

nsxbill

The kinds of things I want to put on racks in the refrigerator can be double deckered on the two shelves of this new rack.  I am looking forward to it being available.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br />Rob,

Is the welding MIG or TIG? Very nice job.

Arcs_n_Sparks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
mig, wish i had a tig, but a tig takes 2 hands and a foot, LOL i need my extra hand so a mig works well for this app. i need to get another welder becuase once you set up for stainless its not easy to switch back to weld just steel.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welding is not my trade, but learned at a very young age, i have a very creative mind that works on anything that will make work easier if you know what i mean, i work for the city in the street dept, to give you an example we had a trench box that is used for laying ashphalt down .well it didnt work well , the trenches we were doing had to be put down in 2 lifts the box would only work on the final lift. lift = layers. our crew with the box and time could only do about 10 tons a day , came up with some ideas and went to work redesiend it and made a atachment that will do the first lift no more doing it by hand, now we can do 30 + tons a day with our same crew and nobody is busting there a$$ , only thing i got from the city was nice job, LOL. sorry for the rambling and the spelling,

oguard

Great ideas Rob.I gotta get back to work so I can make some myself.I have been on holidays for three works and everytime I turn around there is something I need welded.No welder at home ..Yet.Gotta convince the wife on that one Ha Ha[:D]

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />hab yes the bottom cross bars can be moved but would have to change a few other thing and redo my jig but can be done. why do you ask?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This was in reference to modifying the top of the fridge rack to hold one more shelf.

I
         don't
                   inhale.