Biscuit killed my advance motor! Need Part! HELP!

Started by UNKsmoker, August 14, 2005, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNKsmoker

I went out to check my smoked silver samon  this A.M. and found a biscuit wedged in the tube, and the advance tray "skipping"

Took it all apart and it is not functional,  has to be advanced past the stripped tooth...

Also found that the tube feeder was not "flush" with the top of the smoker, causing the hang up,  I have filed the excess aluminum away and there is now NO CHANCE of the biscuits getting trapped again...

but I am stuck with a BUM MOTOR, and no way to continue the season of smoking my favorite fish... and I need more,  we have few weeks left, but I may have to resort to the old "hot plate" and a steel dish method before any parts arrive...

Anyone have a working motor they are willing to part with?  I'll pay  EXPRESS USPS mail shipping and for the motor....

HELP A SMOKED SALMON JUNKY please?

Jason

P.S. I e-mailed bradley, and have called, still waiting for a response

Oldman

Man I hate saying this, but if you unit is out of warranty you are SOL.  Here in the States we have not found where you can purchase a motor. If it is under warranty Bradley will send to you a new generator. Otherwise I suggest calling Chez and see what he can get you a new generator for.

I feel for you for sure.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

UNKsmoker

The smoker is just over a month old, should still be under the warrenty, problem is the TIME this is all going to take....

This could be an easy fix if there are parts??/ but after reading through the forums here, my hopes are a bit dashed...

this is a bummer.

anyone have any other ideas?

Jason

jaeger

Jason,
Did you talk to someone at Bradley? They are usually VERY fast about sending out parts that are covered by warranty. Don't count on email. For some reason they seem to be very slow in regards to email.
Let us know what you find out.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Arcs_n_Sparks

Jason,

I have not found a U.S. distributor for the manufacturer of the motor in the Bradly. This URL points to a motor with similar specifications: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005081417574962&item=5-1564&catname=

What is not clear to me (since I have not taken mine apart very far), is how the output shaft connects to the drive cam. However, for $4 plus shipping, it may be worth an experiment if you get desperate.

Arcs_n_Sparks

MallardWacker

<b><font color="blue">ARC-----YOU ARE THE DUDE FOR THAT INFORMATION.</font id="blue"> </b>

Dang I hate those "KILLER BISCUITs"

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Habanero Smoker

If you are under warranty, Bradley will be quicker. They will send you out an new generator, and you should recieve it in a few days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Bradley generally second day air parts to ya. [:D]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> ARC-----YOU ARE THE DUDE FOR THAT INFORMATION.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">AMEN~~~! How did you find that?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman & Manxman,

You both have indicated the motor is an issue so I have been doing my part to find a replacement (my newbie contribution). My research seems to indicate that the O.E.M. suppliers have offerings, but that they are often "tweaked" for the end integator (like Bradley). This includes RPM and shaft options (you can go to Autotrol and find a similar generic part, but no specific ordering info, as well as the appliance part vendors for microwave turntable motors). This has made it quite challenging, especially if you want a direct drop-in part without mods.

I have used the Surplus Center in the past for other motor needs, and decided to see what they have. They have another offering here:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2005081421145294&item=5-1564-A&catname=electric
with a part number of FYJ50-8, which is so similar in naming to the TYJ50-8 in question that it surprised me (however, it is larger in diameter and thicker and not suitable).

Absent understanding how the motor connects to the cam, my efforts are coming to an end in finding a direct replacement, since that seems to be the last variable to nail down. However, for four bucks, I suspect some would be able to hot-wired into the B.S.

Arcs_n_Sparks

UNKsmoker

I have called Bradley and will call again,  I have resorted to "hand feeding" the bisquits and not letting my fish obsession come to an end. (tastes too damn good)

Thanks for all the Searching for the motor, seems that there has to be one out there...
the out put shaft is a "half moon" or wood-driff key, sort of shape,

I took my motor apart, and the inner gears are alomst like some of my sons RC car stuff, just about 1mm off though, and lacking the proper pitch...dang it all

I wonder if the microwave motor has similar guts?

Will try BS tomorrow a.m.

I'm working too many hours during the day to get on the phone, but will make time soon

Thanks again guys,

Jason

Oldman

bleightion

Interested if anyone has found a suitable replacement motor yet as I have the same problem with my BS POS. I sure would like to find a replacement the has metal gears rather than the cheap plastic that it came with.