What do they mean by fresh smoked sausage.

Started by marauder11, January 16, 2011, 11:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marauder11

Found a recipe for fresh smoked sausage do they refer to the sausage being just made and smoked as the fresh part or what. The recipe never did call for cure. which is weird as well just wondering anyones thoughts on this.

3rensho

Hello, without seeing the recipe it's difficult to tell.  Is this a recipe for making fresh smoked sausage or using fresh smoked sausage?  If it's a recipe to make fresh smoked sausage it ought to mention something about the smoking.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

classicrockgriller

Here is my thoughts and they may be wrong but I don't think so.

When you use cure in your sausage your are actually doing a very low slow smoke/cook.

Your sausage is in the danger zone for a while which is why you need the cure.

With uncured or fresh sausage, you need to HOT smoke or grill or pan fry the sausage.

If you can't keep your Bradley or smoker above 225*, don't put "fresh" or "uncured"

sausage in it to cook. When you buy "bulk" sausage from a store you pan fry it fast.

marauder11

This is a part of the write up on 3men.com   http://www.3men.com/allyou.htm.

Fresh Smoked Sausage

This is fresh sausage that is smoked. After smoking, the sausage can then be refrigerated and cooked thoroughly before eating. Examples include Mettwurst and Roumanian sausage.

I can not find the recipe i will keep looking but the above is what got me thinking.

marauder11

Got what your thinking classic. Would the same go if you just had a smoke generator like the pistol  putting smoke in.

classicrockgriller

Mettwurst, sometimes spelled metwurst, is a type of German sausage made from raw pork that is cured and often smoked.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mettwurst.htm

notice the word "cured"

classicrockgriller

Quote from: marauder11 on January 16, 2011, 11:25:22 PM
Got what your thinking classic. Would the same go if you just had a smoke generator like the pistol  putting smoke in.

I can't help with "cold" smoking sausage.

Habs will be around in a bit and He can probably help in this area.

I just haven't tried it.

Habanero Smoker

I've looked at the site, and I am not sure what they mean by Fresh Smoked Sausage. I am not familiar with Mettwurst and Roumanian sausages; so I had to quickly look them up. The reputable sites such as Wedlinydomowe and Len Poli use a cure in their recipes. Len Poli treats Mettwurst as a dry cured sausage, while another site treats it as a cured smoked raw sausage, then refrigerated or frozen to be fully cooked later. Wedlinydomowe Roumanian recipe calls for a cure sausage that if smoked until it is fully cooked.

With fresh sausage I agree with what CRG has already stated. If you want to cold smoke fresh sausage, I would not cold smoke for more then 1 hour at 70°F or less, then immediately move them to a grill, pan or oven and finish cooking at high heat. I would not store them raw. The reason is you have given bacteria a head start in growing. Neither refrigeration or freezing kills bacteria. Refrigerator only slows the growth down, and freezing make them dormant until the meat thaws.

Here is a link to a good article that show the growth rate of bacteria.
Food Poisoning and Food Hygiene, Pt. 1

Sausage Recipe Links:
Roumanian Sausage

Meetwurst Sausage
Some sites has this as a raw cured smoked sausage, that need further cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

marauder11

I went to my local meat shop guy and asked. This is what he said. His fresh smoked sausage is put in the smoker at 130-140 for the smoke cycle time of that depends on what is being made. Then when the smoke is done they go to 180 for a short time to get the color. After there color is obtained they pull it cool it wrap it and place in the sales cooler. It all has cure and is not fully cooked. He referred to this as smoked frying  sausage or as he said some people call it fresh  smoked sausage. He stopped three or four times to remind me that there is cure in this and that it is of great importance to use it. So i guess that ansewers my question.

classicrockgriller