OBS smoked Tri-Tip

Started by muebe, January 17, 2011, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

I picked up a couple of tri-tips at Costco(4lbs total). They were smoked for 4 1/2 hours with Bradley special blend pucks. The Tri-Tips were rubbed with CB's Brisket Rub. It is the first time I have used this rub. I found that it became quite spicy after the smoke. The rub was more mild when I tested the flavor with my finger. I probably would not use it again. I took the Tri-Tips to a IT of 140. That might be too low for some people but I like my meat rare to medium rare. Besides you can always re-heat it but... "you cannot undo done!" The meat was very moist and tender. Another great smoke on my new Bradley ;D

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

TMB

Muebe you out did yourself!   Makes me want to try this soon.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

classicrockgriller

We need to come eat at your House.

That Looks spot on.

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah you nailed that...Let's eat!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Gizmo

Tri-tip is one of my favorites.  If you can find it, try the South Sea Santa Maria style Tri-Tip seasoning.  It is one of my favorite off-the-shelfers.  I like oak smoke with Tri-Tip.  Maybe it is a Cali thing.

Here is a link so you can see what the container looks like.

http://southseasislandsfoods.com/seasonings.html
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

That looks scrumptious!  Tri-tip could probably become a favorite of mine,  Iff'n I could find it regularly and it wasn't so expensive.  Yours was $4.99.  $8.99 to $14.99 is what it is when I can find it.  So when I want a rare smoked meat like your killer tri-tip, I go with a Prime beef butt I can get at Sams for less. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Now thats my kinda plate of grub...meat and taters, Oh Ya.

Thats a mighty gooood lookin hunk of beef... cooked to perfection.

thirtydaZe

I love tri-tip.  Had never had it until we were tailgating this football season.  currently have a fresh one in my freezer, waiting for the warmer weather to show it's pretty face.

Just curious, you said 140* was probably not ideal, so what would you consider the ideal medium cooked temp?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

muebe

You know I guess being in California I am spoiled. Tri-Tip is available at any store and for a low price. My two favorite cuts are Rib-Eye steaks and Tri-Tip roast ;D

30dayz...I pulled it at 140 and that is almost rare. If you want medium rare pull closer to 150. If you want medium I would pull at 155 to 160. The FTC will cook it a little more...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

WOWZA muebe!!  You nailed that tip.  I pull mine at 140ยบ too.  I've grilled a zillion tips but they don't hold a candle to a smoked one  :) 8)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

smokeitall

That looks great, Tri-tip is one of my favorites.  Sams has them also but they are usually not the right cut.  What you have there is a true tri-tip.
SIA

thirtydaZe

Quote from: muebe on January 18, 2011, 09:34:55 AM
You know I guess being in California I am spoiled. Tri-Tip is available at any store and for a low price. My two favorite cuts are Rib-Eye steaks and Tri-Tip roast ;D

30dayz...I pulled it at 140 and that is almost rare. If you want medium rare pull closer to 150. If you want medium I would pull at 155 to 160. The FTC will cook it a little more...

thanks for the input.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

jiggerjams

Chili Head

I don't think it can get better than that! Nice job!