Tomatoes

Started by CLAREGO, August 15, 2005, 02:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

its the season tomatoes are coming from every where anybody have a good recipes involving tomatoes ! (ANYMORE EVER SMOKED TOMATOES ???)

BigSmoker

Here is a recipe for a tomato pie that I hear is very good.   I think it originally came off of the BGE site so I don't know who to credit for the recipe but here it is[:D].  I been thinking about smoking some maters at a very low temp and see if I can get them to dry out completely.  Just haven't had the time[:(].

Ingredients:
• 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup grated white sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 cup mayonnaise/ Miracle Whip
• ½ cup chopped green onions
• 3-4 large vine ripe tomatos
• 8 fresh basil leaves/torn or chopped
• 1 uncooked deep dish pie crust

Preparation Directions:
•Peel and slice tomato, put into a colander and sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper. Let drain around 10 minutes. While draining, bake the pie crust on the cooker at 350 for about 10 minutes. Pre-baking helps keep the crust from getting soggy from the tomatos.

Mix the cheeses and Miracle Whip together in a bowl and set aside. Remove the pie crust and let it cool a few minutes. I brush a thin coating of olive oil to help seal the crust. Then start layering the tomatos, basil and green onions and repeat till pie crust is full. Take the cheese mixture and spread on top evenly.

Cooking Directions:
• Bake the pie indirectly at 400 degrees till top is browned lightly about 45 minutes. Remove from cooker and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice and serve....

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

I smoked some plum tomatoes for an 1.5 hours using maple, then I put them in a dehydrator to finish them off. I latter used them in a stew, which came out great.

For recipes here is a site I came across awhile back http://www.tomato.org/reflex/recipes/recipe.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CLAREGO

thanks all... bigsmoker i will have to try that. I aint much of a tomato fan but will try it. i just plant 10 plants a year to mostly give a way and have a tomato sandwich..can them for spagetti sauce

Oldman

HS thanks for the link!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SoupGuy

END OF SEASON TOMATO'S:::

IF you like pickled anything, and you like HOT/Spicey.... here is a great way to use those green tomato's at the end of the season when they aren't going to turn red for you:

Spicey Pickled Green tomatos.

6 cups vinegar (5% acidity)
6 cups Hot water
1/2 cup Salt (Kosher or Pickling)
3 TBL sugar
3 TBL Crushed Red Pepper
2 Dill stalks cut up  (or @ 2 tbl powdered dill)
4 Large Garlic cloves; sliced thin
6 LBS halved green tomato (any variety)

Wash TOMS and cut in half (quarter if very large)
Pack into clean sterile canning jars.
Bring brine (all of the above ingredients) to a full boil.
Ladle hot brine over TOMS in jars.
Place lids onto jars and leave out on couter top overnight.
Check to ensure jars sealed. If not, place into refrigerator.

Let Toms sit for a week or so before eating.

These are AWESOME and will make your scalp sweat without burning your face off!  

** Spring immature green TOMS are NOT as good as "won't turn red" end of season TOMS. Don't know why, but tried them both ways.... End of season green TOMS are best!

This is actually a recipe for pickled green beans which happens to work great on late green Tomato's.

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...