Watching my DBS with a webcam

Started by sieler, January 19, 2011, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sieler

Hi,

I saw the advisory that I should not leave the smoker unattended ... and read several posts along the same lines.

But, I wanted to watch football inside ... so ...

I setup a webcam watching the DBS.

Stuck in a chicken:

spatchcocked (http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11817.0)

Went inside to watch TV and webcam:

(Mac laptop on the right, showing the webcam feed)

Closeup:

Hmm...looks like the webcam has a clock, and it's wrong :)

Since I was watching a recorded game, whenvever I hit "jump forward" I looked at the webcam screen.

The result:

...my first smoked chicken!

Stan

squirtthecat

Very nice!

Now you need Picture-In-Picture on the big screen...

SoCalBuilder

Slick idea and a good looking bird. I need to do some research on wireless webcams. Thanks for the idea :)

sieler

Re:

> research on wireless webcams

Mine's a TRENDnet TV-IP110W, about $60 at Amazon.

There seem to be two kinds of wireless webcams...those with an internal web server, and those without one.

Having an internal web server means you don't need any other computers on at home for the camera to talk to.

If anyone wants to try out viewing my webcam, email me offline and I'll send a user/password you can use for awhile.
(That way, you can see if your PC/Mac/smartphone is compatible with at least this kind of webcam.)

BTW, I can't view this webcam on my iPhone :(

FLBentRider

How about one for INSIDE the smoker?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

sieler

Re: How about one for INSIDE the smoker?

That would be nice! 

I've had a webcam go up to about 150 degrees F, but the lens distorted a bit.  (When it cooled down, the lens was okay.)   However, I suspect 200 to 250 would be out of the operating range for most (every?) webcam :(

(150 F?  A few years ago, while we were away from the house for an extended time, a thermostat went wild and turned on the furnace in mid-July ... it ran continuously for an unknown number of days.  One max/min thermometer inside the house recorded a high temp of 157 F.  The result: lots of stuff damaged by heat, including the wax toilet seals that melted, causing flooding.  I now have thermostats I can check/control over the web (from Proliphix).)

Sailor

Whew.....this smoking is getting to really be hard work.....Got PID's, Mavericks, Smoke generators, houses for the Bradley's and now web cams.  Just remember to work up a sweat before your guests arrive so they know how hard you work to make the tasty meal you put before them  ;D  :o

I just love the idea of a web cam!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

I did this a couple years ago, some members could watch my smoker.