• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Beef Failure !?!!

Started by smoker pete, January 21, 2011, 05:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

First let me say that one of my 2 heating elements failed sometime during this smoke  :'( :'(  Got me a 4.3lb Chuck Roast from my local butcher.  It was about 1.3" thick.

Slathered it with Mustard and some Fegundes Seasoning.  OBS had issues preheating to 225º.  3 hours of Jim Beam smoke.  In at 6:45AM.  The Ambient temperature was 38º/Foggy/damp.  IT at 54º.

9 hours later IT sitting at 163º and not climbing!  Planning to have my Son's Family over for sammies but alas no such luck.  I probably screwed up big time but I pulled the Chuck Roast and am now 2 hours into FTC.  Here's what it looked like prior to FTC.

The Chuck Roast is done big time cause it sat there at 163º for hours but I doubt that it will turn out to be pulled beef once the FTC is done in another hour!

What did I do wrong?  Should I have left it in the OBS till it hit 190º - 200º?  I normally have patience but this time I'm not so sure waiting would have helped ???

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

classicrockgriller

You could have finished it in the oven till It of around the 200* for pulled beef.

I would think that you could still have slice roast beef or chopped.

I bet it taste great!

SnellySmokesEm

With pulled beef I usually foil when the IT reaches 140-150 and take to an IT of 195-200.  It tastes great as long as its moist.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

smoker pete

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 21, 2011, 05:58:19 PM
You could have finished it in the oven till It of around the 200* for pulled beef.

I would think that you could still have slice roast beef or chopped.

I bet it taste great!

Turns out you were correct CRG ;D  It did turn out be be really good sliced roast beef  :-[

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 21, 2011, 07:42:28 PM
With pulled beef I usually foil when the IT reaches 140-150 and take to an IT of 195-200.  It tastes great as long as its moist.

So you actually foil it Snelly and return it to the OBS?  Maybe next time I just start it at midnight rather than 6:45AM.

classicrockgriller

If all you failures look that good, send them to me.

It looks great.

SnellySmokesEm

Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

kaskiles

I think temperature probe placement in that piece of meat would be difficult...  Almost like trying to probe some ribs?  Seems like a more square or blocky piece would be easier.

Was that a 7 bone?  I never see a nice thick 7 bone at our Publix, but I read recently of someone request a nice think 5 or 7 inch thick cut.

Looks like some good beef, I love chuck bark from the Bradley.
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

FLBentRider

Quote from: kaskiles on January 21, 2011, 08:49:46 PM
I never see a nice thick 7 bone at our Publix, but I read recently of someone request a nice think 5 or 7 inch thick cut.

That's what I will do, I just ask them to cut me a bigger chuck.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

for pulled beef it should have been around 185 to 200

smoker pete

Quote from: beefmann on January 22, 2011, 07:02:03 AM
for pulled beef it should have been around 185 to 200

I concur beefmann.  I've learned from this forum that every piece of meat will act differently and that there will be a stall but I wasn't prepared after 9 hours to be sitting there at 163ºF.  I was thinking more like 5-6 hours till it reaches 190º+ ?!!  Obviously, I was mistaken  :'( :-[  I inserted the probe away from any bones and through the center of the side deep into the chuck roast.

I read where a brisket can go from 24-30 hours so how long should I realistically plan for next time?  As mentioned above, my butcher can slice me up a chunk as thick as I request.  What would be a good thickness for my next pulled beef attempt?

muebe

Good job ;D Looks like you pulled it off even with a dead element Pete. I am going to do the second element mod in the future. I hope Bradley figures out why all these elements are going out. But if my element goes out at least I still have my old gas smoker to use 8)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

Quote from: smoker pete on January 22, 2011, 07:21:56 AM

What would be a good thickness for my next pulled beef attempt?

I like em 5" thick.  ;D

classicrockgriller

When I did the shoulder roasts for a wedding they were about

2 to 2 1/2 inches and they made nice chucks of pulled beef.

grnhs

outnumbered

Hi I am new to smoking just got the bradley original smoker. I want to smoke a beef brisket for my daughters first birthday and turn it into pulled beef sandwichs. How long should I plan to smoke a brisket for? If I put 4 briskets in the smoker does that add to the cook time? How long should I put smoke on them for? Any good sauces? What temp should I set the smoker at? Thanks for the help?