More Blazing Pistachios

Started by seemore, January 22, 2011, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Made a triple batch of these today to try to stay warm during these cold winter days:

For anyone unfamiliar with the recipe it is from the Sublime Smoke book by the Jamisons, on page 66.
seemore

LumpyDVC

-= Lumpy # 2 =-

seemore

Sure can.   8)
Here it is:

1 T butter
3 T pickling liquid from a jar of pickled jalapenos
3 T green Tabasco sauce (jalapeno)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t salt
2 C unshelled pistachio nuts

Bring your smoker to it's appropriate cooking temp. 
In a skillet, melt the butter with the pickling liquid, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, and salt.  Stir in the pistachios and coat well.
Transfer the pistachios to a shallow, nonreactive, smokeproof dish or piece of heavy-duty foil molded into a small tray.
Place the nuts in the smoker and cook until dried and fairly crisp, about 50 to 60 minutes at a temperature of 225 degrees Farenheit to 250 degrees Farenheit.
Transfer the nuts to absorbent paper to cool.  Serve them immediately or keep in covered jar for several days.

We use our Bradley racks, with the mesh screenson the bottom of each rack, to smoke the nuts.   Sometimes, however, as in last week, the temp was so cold outside and the batch was so much bigger than usual, that we brought the nuts inside and finished the cook in the oven, as the pistachios were not getting crispy in the Bradley.

Try them and let us know how you like them.  They are a favorite of ours.  Again, if you get a chance, pick up the book Sublime Smoke.  It is an awesome book!
Mrs S

DTAggie

Saving this recipe for sure.  I typically use Frank's Red Hot and smoke some stachios.  Family, neighbors all love them.

seemore

Frank's Red Hot sauce is awesome stuff, but I can't take the heat. :-[
I love the Green Tabasco sauce - a much milder version of Franks.
Mrs. 

Brisket Lover

Im going to try some CTchios here soon.  Once I find pickled peppers I will give this recipe a try.  Thanks for posting it!

SoCalBuilder

Are these raw pistachios or can you even get raw pistachios? Looks like something to add to the list.

seemore

SCB, we bought them at Sams.  They have already been roasted and salted.
However, I bet you could buy raw pistachios at any bulk food distributor.
Mrs

steve-o

Those look tasty, so just the regular store bought salted pistachios are fine? Do you apply smoke the whole time in the smoker? Any preference of wood?

seemore

Steve-o, sorry it took so long to get back to you.  Busy weekend.
Yes, store-bought pistachios are fine.  We applied smoke the entire time.  We used hickory.
seemore

steve-o

I made a batch of them today, with mesquite. Very tasty, wont add salt next time though. Thanks

I also did another tray with CT and Jan's rub that were good too, but I dont have frogmats yet and used cheesecloth which worked good for your recipe but the CT ones glues to the cloth. Good thing they have a shell because most of them have pieces of fabric on them :P

TestRocket

seemore

Steve-o, mesquite would be a great smoke too! 
mrs

steve-o

Quote from: seemore on February 08, 2011, 06:08:27 PM
Steve-o, mesquite would be a great smoke too! 
mrs

Yup, they were great, and I was a popular guy at work today  ;)

LumpyDVC

I did a batch up the other night. They came out great! with only 1
issue.

The wife liked that they were not spicy hot, just the right amount of
heat for her.

The issue I had was I only got 20 minutes of smoke on them. I think
my puck feeder froze. It was -21c outside at the time. lol
-= Lumpy # 2 =-