5th smoke = dead heating element :(

Started by demaximis, January 23, 2011, 07:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demaximis

It's unfortunate that the first need to register and post on these boards is to report a dead heating element after just 5 uses.  The Bradley was a holiday gift, and I have been trying to get the hang of finessing some good smoked meat out of it.  I've been experimenting with boston butts, but before my smoke yesterday, could not do a great job of regulating the temperature in the Bradley (my last butt came out cooked with a nice bark, but was dry inside -- I think the temp was too high).

I broke down and bought an Auber PID to help me, and I tried my first overnight smoke last night.  When I went to bed, after smoking for 4 hours, the PID was locked at 225, and was scheduled to stay there until the butt's IT reached 195, then it was supposed to drop the Bradley temp to 130 until I pulled it out, and I was going to try to FTC for a few hours to make sure it was tender (having done a lot of reading on these forums).  Sounds like a plan, right?

Well, when I woke up this morning (about 14 hours into the process), the Bradley's internal temp was reading 70  :o and the IT of the butt was at 129  :o.  The PID said it was on the second timing event, so I have to assume that it reached a 195 degree temp at some point.  It appears that the reason that the Bradley temp was only 70 degrees is because the heating element was off, even though the power was on!  I'm just not sure when it died.

I tried plugging the heating element directly into the outlet (bypassing the smoke generator), and no heat.  I tried moving the slider around, and no heat.  The element remained cold to the touch.  Very sad that this happened within a month of purchase, although it appears that I am not the only one with this problem.  I will be calling Bradley tomorrow to inquire about a replacement.  Also, I'm hoping they will replace the plastic bottom piece, which was broken when it arrived from Amazon (I took pictures, but did not want to send the whole thing back to Amazon, as it was working).  Hopefully, they will make it right.

As for the pork, it was pretty cold on the surface, though it looked crusty on the outside.  Just to make sure it was cooked, I wrapped it up in tin foil and threw it into the oven at 225.  The internal temp is showing 160, after about two hours.  Once it reaches 175, I will pull it out, and wrap it in a towel before putting it in the cooler.  I'm probably overcooking the heck out of it, but I'm not sure what else to do.  I guess this will be another "learning butt."  :'(

GusRobin

I would be concerned on how long the pork was in the danger zone (40-140*). Bring the meat to 200* will not kill any nasty stuff that grew during that period. It takes about 215-220*ish at least.
While it may be overkill, but if the meat was in the danger zone that long I would consider tossing it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

demaximis

Thanks for the response.  I did consider tossing it, but assumed that because the IT reached 195 at some point (triggering the second program), it was likely out of the danger zone (cooked), and that the cooling in the period after it reached that temp -- when the heating element likely bit the big one -- (from IT of 195 to IT of 129) was no different that cooling it down before putting it in the fridge.  In other words, it lost temp during the "keep warm phase."  However, if it's a goner, it's a goner.  I just can't believe the element would die after just five uses...

demaximis

And then on further reflection, and reading a couple more posts on the subject... decided to toss the meat.  So very sad, and kids are going to be very disappointed.  Guess we're going out for restaurant 'que this evening.   :'(

With any luck, I'll have a replacement in hand and be ready to go again next weekend.

GusRobin

It may have been safe but I always look at the downside of what could happen to my family and usually go conservative and throw it out or maybe give it to my in-laws ::)

If you gt a hold of Bradley first thing monday you may have it by Wed or thurs.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: demaximis on January 23, 2011, 07:02:18 AMI tried plugging the heating element directly into the outlet (bypassing the smoke generator), and no heat.  I tried moving the slider around, and no heat.  The element remained cold to the touch.  Very sad that this happened within a month of purchase, although it appears that I am not the only one with this problem.  I will be calling Bradley tomorrow to inquire about a replacement.  Also, I'm hoping they will replace the plastic bottom piece, which was broken when it arrived from Amazon (I took pictures, but did not want to send the whole thing back to Amazon, as it was working).  Hopefully, they will make it right.

Are you sure that the 10A in-line fuse didn't blow instead of the element gong out?  On the OBS the power ON light on the smoke generator box will still be lit even if the 10A fuse in the cabinet is blown.  You have to remove the back panel to get to it.  

I'm not sure how a stand-alone PID controller controls the power to the rest of the system.  On my OBS I installed an Auber PID controller inside the smoke generator box. The stock wiring would have kept the power light on even if the tower in-line fuse was blown (not the little round one on the back of the smoke generator).  I rewired it to only come on if the air circulation fan (which I also added) was running.

My plastic bottom piece was also broken when I opened the box from Amazon.  I fixed it with a little Super Glue.

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum demaxmis.  Sorry to hear about your heating element.  One of mine bit the dust also a couple of days ago  :'(  Yours should still be under warranty and Bradley will do right by you.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

demaximis

Just got off the phone with Bradley.  New element and new plastic cover for bottom are on the way, along with a few bisquettes for my troubles.  The kind customer service was appreciated, and the agent told me that, while they have seen some bad recent elements lately, they have not had any repeated issues with the replacements they send out.  Hopefully, this means I'll be back in business by next weekend, and can try my hands at another boston butt.

Waltz

Glad to hear you are sticking with it and raring to go again.  My heater element failed also after just a few smokes so I understand the frustration but I got a replacement free of charge and in good time and it has been in service for a while now with no problems. The Bradley is not a switch it on, fill it and forget it piece of equipment and requires some TLC at times but I find it is well worth the effort for what it produces.