How lond to reach 225 cabinet temp ?

Started by Fair-chase, January 26, 2011, 07:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

Pre heated obs , 20# load , no peeking. How long does it take your obs to reach cabinet temp of 225 deg. ?

KyNola

Too many variables to give a definitive answer to that question.

mow_delon

30-45 min for preheat, but with 20# load it is hard to say. It may never reach 225 on the door thermometer depending on the positioning of the load.  If the temp controller is maxed, the element is putting out the same heat whether the thermometer on the door says 90 or 250 if allowed to preheat.

TedEbear

Quote from: Fair-chase on January 26, 2011, 07:30:43 AM
Pre heated obs , 20# load , no peeking. How long does it take your obs to reach cabinet temp of 225 deg. ?

I recently added a second element to my OBS and a PID controller.  Yesterday I smoked a 'Not Your Moma's Meatloaf'.  It took less than 15 minutes to reach 225*F, with an outside air temp of 25*F. With my old single element it probably would have taken 45 minutes or more.

Fair-chase

Too many variables to give a definitive answer to that question.

2 butts one is 9.4# the other is 8.6 #. amb. temp = 40 deg.. Smoker is in a garage with the door cracked. Temp is measured with an omega thermocouple on an auber pid right below the first butt which is on the 2 nd rack from the bottom.

The reason I ask is because everyone talks about cooking at 225 deg. Mine will preheat to 260 lickede split, but when 18# of (warmed at room temp for 2 hrs) is put in it will take close to 12 hrs to get to 225.

RAF128

Warming your meat at room temp will not increase the meat temp very much.    18 lbs of meat in the smoker will keep the temp of the cabinet down.    as the meat warms from the heat the temp will rise.  After the 12 hrs, what was the meat temp?

Fair-chase

At 10 1/2 hrs the lowest butt is at 146 , and the next one up is at 143.

beefmann

my experience has been with large loads it will get close / at 225 when the meat is close to being  done at 190 or so