• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cumberland sausage ++

Started by Trond C, January 29, 2011, 01:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trond C

This is the first time I try making sausages, and as a bonus, bacon. The meat is pork ribs with the meat between ribs and spine, three pieces of these. I cut of the meatiest  part of all three and used two of the "thin" ribs for bacon after taking out the rib bones. On the baconmeat I had dry cure, something called Supracure, a mix of salt and sodium nitrite E250 and mixed this with 10% demerara sugar. Into plastic and into refrigerator for  one week, dayly massage and smoke next weekend.
Here is one of the three meat pieces:

After removing skin and bone and through grinder:

I used a mix for Cumberland sausage from Weschenfelder Saugsage in UK, had it in my good monsterblender with water and icecubes.

Lots of saugsages and some bacon  :)

Not fullly happy with the information about the seasoning pack - it says to be all you need in addition to meat and some breadcrumbs, but not if there are any cure in it. Now sausages are in refrigerator, plan is to smoke tomorrow, want smoke, but ??
Best regards,
Trond,
Norway

Keymaster

marauder11

I would not smoke it if you are unsure about cure in the meat or not

3rensho

That's some great looking sausage and pre-bacon.  Your grinder looks just like mine  ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Trond,

Welcome to the forum. That is an interesting sausage recipe.

For those who have never heard of Supracure here is a previous discussion on it (read the whole thread; it's quite interesting).
Irish Bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Oh, heck yeah! Nice Job Trond C !!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Trond C

Thanks for nice comments!

I woke up to a black & white morning today, we had some hints of spring the last days, but strong wind and some wet snow during the night now. Even so a nice day for my first use of the Bradleysmoker  :) 

The sausages last weekend I decided not to smoke. The seasoning did not contain any curing salts and cumberlandsausage is anyhow, as far as I have understood, not usually smoked. They went fresh into the freezer and taste very nice, a mild good taste.

The bacon I cured 6 days in the supracure I mentioned, rinsed thoroughly in water and dried hanging in front of a fan two hours.
Fried some for breakfast before smoking, very nice, and smoked 4 hours. I didn't use the heating element in the cabinet, just the heat frome the smoke generator, 35/40 Celcius.

Best regards,
Trond,
Norway

Keymaster

That outside picture is beautiful, almost like a painting :) Bacon is almost like a painting also, looks awesome!!! Nice Job Trond C  :o

smoker pete

Great job on the sausage and bacon Trond C !!  That's a beautiful environment you live in :)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Thats some good lookin sausage Trond.

The bacon looks grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Makin me hungry just lookin at it.

Love the picture of the lake.

Trond C

Not Cumberland og sausage this time, but bacon, not far away anyhow. The bacon I mad last time, first time, was excellent, the wife loved it. Had to  make more so took out from freezer all the pork ribs that was sold cheap after christmas. Nice weather last weekend, first a walk through a research farm here with one of the "wild sheep" I will once buy and smoke ;D, a traditional farm house from these coasts, then I sat up my Bradley, still in nice weather, it grew colder and started to snow, but in the end the old guy, me, was happy with the outcome, a lot of nice bacon. The apron is a gift from my daughter, studying in Munich, Germany, that´s why "Freistaat Bayern"  :)

Best regards,
Trond,
Norway

Tenpoint5

Looks like your enjoying your Bradley Trond. even taking it with you on trips. Now that is devoted!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

Trond, those are beautiful pictures!  I always wanted to visit Norway;  the closest I got was Finland.
Please post some Norwegian dishes on the forum.  Seemore and I would love to try them!
Mrs Seemore

Habanero Smoker

I don't know what I enjoy looking at more, the countryside or the bacon.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Great pics Trond and beautiful countryside.  München is a great city.  Even the little old ladies drink beer from one liters mugs.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.