Aluminum Foil

Started by bphilb, January 31, 2011, 10:47:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bphilb

While new to the forum I have had my Bradley for over a year and love it. When I smoke a brisket on a traditional fire smoker I prefer to place my brisket on a sheet of aluminum foil. The instructions say that foil will ruin the smoker. Why and how does it effect the smoker??
I have found that a sheet of foil with the edges turned up sure speed the cleaning process in my old smoker.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum bphilb!

Foiling the V-tray or the racks can cause a heat build-up.

Wrapping the meat in foil during a stage of the cook is ok.

I guess you could cut a foil "footprint" of your brisket and put it under it.

I don't foil for the whole cook since it hinders the bark development and smoke penetration.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SoCalBuilder

bphilb - Welcome to the forum. Can't remember anything stating that aluminum foil would ruin the smoker, but I do know that you need to be cautious about collecting grease and possibly causing a grease fire. Everyone I know of here will just let the grease drip to the v-tray and then into the water pan. On the longer cooks, like brisket, you need to take care and make sure that the v-tray doesn't clog. CLeaning has never really been an issue with me. A can of Pam goes a long way to making that task easier.

Hope this helps.

FLBR beat me again! Man that boy can type :D

FLBentRider

There is a section of the manual that cautions against foiling racks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

bphilb

I love the smoker. Have cooked the old traditional way for years. I just hate having to get up to fix the fire during the night. Guess I am getting old.
Do you find that your pucks get completely burned before getting pushed out? Mine seem to get about 90% used in 20 minutes and I keep the burner very clean.

TestRocket

What you're getting out of the pucks is normal. They will be black but still intact when they fall into the water bowl.        ;D

bphilb

That's what I have seen. Good smoke though and easy. Have you tried the maple with Salmon? Killer. I think I will do a chicken tomorrow. The mother-in-law hates smoked chicken. More for me!