• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Quick Beef Jerky tonage question

Started by smoker pete, January 31, 2011, 05:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Just received my set of 4 non-stick coated Bradley Smoker Jerky Racks and am itching to do my first smoked jerky in the OBS.  So by placing these upside down I will now have 8 racks that I can use.  4 with Frog Mats and 4 Jerky Racks.  I have no idea how much meat to slice up for a full load.

Don't have a slicer yet so my local butcher will do the honors for me.  How many pounds can I put on 8 racks?  Give or take!  Here's what I have extrapolated from reading a multitude of Jerky posts:

• 140º for 1 hr without smoke
  • bump to 150º with 5 pucks of Hickory
  • then 4 hours at 165º
  • bump to 175º if need until the Jerky bends but does not break
  • Rotate every hour ... top to bottom ... front to back ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SoCalBuilder

Pete - The last jerky I did I cut from brisket flats and there was quite a bit of fat to cut off. I started with 6 lbs and probably lost a good pound to fat. After it was done I had 2 lbs 10 oz of nice stuff. SOme got a little thick, about 3/8". I filled 7 racks. I just set my PID to 150 and let her roll. I checked about every hour, after about 3 hours and rotated, etc. It doesn't all finish at the same time, but you'll figure out by feel when it is done, still pliant, but not soft.

Hope this helps

FLBentRider

It depends on how thick you slice it, I used to do 1/4 to 1/8th inch - before I started doing nuggets.

I think you will get between 5 and 10 lbs on that many racks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mjdeez

I made some venison jerky last weekend, my first jerky attempt in the smoker. Worked out to about 1lb / rack at 1/4" slices.

smoker pete

Just ordered 7 lbs of sliced meat marinated in teriyaki sauce.  Gonna pick it up tomorrow afternoon and fridge overnight before slapping the Jerky in the OBS Thursday morning with some Hickory.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl