• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pucks keep advancing?

Started by smokncrazy, February 02, 2011, 01:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokncrazy

The smoke generator just keeps advancing a new puck every few seconds with no delay for the puck to burn, this issue started after my first smoke.
The advance button seems to stick in the "pushed in" position but will pop out if i pull it back, seems like the advance switch is stuck?

Any other thoughts before a take it apart.

Thanks

Any ideas?

SL2010

bring the generator in the house tor a couple of hours i just went threw the same problem If its cold out if not the micro switch could use replaced easy fix

drano

smokncrazy,
Welcome to the forum! 
The square hole the switch is mounted in may be a bit too small, and pinches the switch so it stays in the "puck advance" position.   This is what mine was doing, and a post here a couple years ago helped me fix it. 
So give this a try:
Take the smoke generator off the smoker, and open up the generator by removing the crews.  Then unplug and remove the puck advance switch.  Determine if the switch is being pinched on one or two sides.  Now take a file that will fit in the hole, and give it a couple light strokes on those sides to make the hole SLIGHTLY bigger (a little goes a long way).  Pop the switch back in, and see if the red button slides back and forth easy.  If not, repeat. 
If you took too much off, wrap some electrical tape around the sides of the switch to build it up for a good fit (don't ask why I know how to do this :))
Everyone is here to help, so ask lots of questions.  The Bradley, like any machine, takes some learning, but its easy, and we're here to help.
Good luck.
get smokin
drano

Habanero Smoker

Hi Smokencrazy;

Welcome to the forum. You have diagnosed the problem correctly.

Here are is another solution:
Stuck Advance Button

Also one that is not listed in the above link, to purchase a new button.

More FAQ's[/ulr]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokncrazy

Thanks guys i will take it apart and check the fit of the button.

Another problem i ran into was ajusting the slide temp control. Last night i tried to get cabinet temp to 130F, i spent over 4 hours sliding the switch at about 1/8 increments trying to get 130. Seems i have no control above 117 to 146. I tried with just the cabinet element, then i turned the generator on aswell to no avail. This morning temp was 117 with out generator on.
I have the unit in the garage where the temp is 36F.
Last weekend i had the unit outside with the air temp was just below zero and i was able to get a cabinet temp of 135, now i can't.
Is it just me having to get a feel for the smoker or is there a problem.

I really appreciate the guys.

West TN Smoker

I had a similar problem where it would advance 2 or 3 pucks most times, sometimes more sometimes less.

Took it apart and cleaned it out really good - had a buildup of grease and wood chips that were interfereing with the travel of the puck pusher inside there - works like a champ now.

Also bent the puck burner down a tad, it was pointed slightly uphill and was catching ABT and bacon wrapped fattie grease, causing the problem.

Had the stuck switch problem originally, a little filing on the switch hole fixed that right up.

Good luck!

TedEbear

Quote from: smokncrazy on February 03, 2011, 05:47:43 AM
Is it just me having to get a feel for the smoker or is there a problem.

Are you saying that you can't get the temp to go that high or that you can't get it to stay at that temp?  If it won't go that high try unplugging everything and reseating the connections.  Sometimes a cord might not be plugged in all the way which will cause a low power problem and it will not get up to temp.  Also, be sure you don't use an extension cord.  If that doesn't work then it could be an element going out.  Many owners have reported this problem lately.

On maintaining a specific temp, I had the same frustration (wind, sunlight, outside temp, etc. variables) until I recently installed a PID controller and a dual element conversion.  It was a bit of work but the results are very nice.

smokncrazy

Ok solved the advancing problem with a little filling....who ho!!! :)

Now the temp problem, TedEbear i can't get the temp to stay between 117 and 146 it either keeps climbing up or drops down. When it gets to 146 i slide switch down 1/8" at a time, open the door for about 3 seconds and close it. Temp drops and starts to climb back up i leave it for 5 min and check temp. If still up i drop another 1/8" and repeat process. After about 3/8" of movement the temp drops to 117. I then repeat the process increasing by 1/8" increments, just to get back up to 146.

smoker pete

Quote from: smokncrazy on February 03, 2011, 07:47:23 AM
Ok solved the advancing problem with a little filling....who ho!!! :)

Now the temp problem, TedEbear i can't get the temp to stay between 117 and 146 it either keeps climbing up or drops down. When it gets to 146 i slide switch down 1/8" at a time, open the door for about 3 seconds and close it. Temp drops and starts to climb back up i leave it for 5 min and check temp. If still up i drop another 1/8" and repeat process. After about 3/8" of movement the temp drops to 117. I then repeat the process increasing by 1/8" increments, just to get back up to 146.

What you're describing smokncrazy is what initially turned me off to using the Bradley for a couple of years cause it was getting too frustrating to maintain a temperature.  Too much work ... until I got back into smoking and bought an Auber PID which controls the temp to ± 2º.  You can find a zillion posts touting the virtues of a PID.  Just do a search.  Check out http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?672-Auber-Plug-amp-Play-PIDs-Single-Dual-Probes  to see a comparison between the Single/Dual Probe Auber PID.  You can read about the Auber PID at http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=72

You won't be sorry if you get a PID.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

smokncrazy

Thanks that does seem like the solution to solve my problem.
Anyone know if PID'S are available in Canada ?

smokncrazy

I've ordered a PID, thanks to everyone for the help its greatly appreciated.