• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Chipolte Baked Beans

Started by steve-o, February 07, 2011, 03:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

I made this dish yesterday, after a friend had made it a while back, I ate it with tortilla chips, but would be good with other dishes as well. 
Sorry didnt think to take photos.  :(

Ingredients

4 cups of black beans soaked overnight or rinsed from a can
      1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped
      1 tbsp cumin
      1 tbsp dried oregano
      2 tbsp chile powder
      6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
      1 yellow onion, chopped
      2 tspsalt
      2 tbsp chipotle puree
      1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
      1 can tomato paste
      1/3 cup red wine vinegar

Directions
In a large pot place the soaked beans, cilantro, cumin, chile powder, dried oregano, garlic and onion. Cover with cold water by one inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 1 hour. Add salt in the final 15 minutes of cooking.

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Stir in remaining ingredients into the pot. Taste the sauce and season as necessary. Ladle beans into Dutch Oven. Place on baking tray to catch spills, cover and bake. After 1 hour remove lid, if the beans are still very runny check them every 15 minutes until desired consistency. Let the beans rest for 10 minutes before serving.

OU812

Sounds good to me but were bouts you get chipotle puree?  ;D

steve-o

I bought a can of chipolte peppers in adobe sauce, it was in the mexican section, and I just puree'd it.

OU812

Quote from: steve-o on February 07, 2011, 04:55:09 PM
I bought a can of chipolte peppers in adobe sauce, it was in the mexican section, and I just puree'd it.

Did ya drain off the adobe sauce?

steve-o

I didnt, I think next time I make the recipe I will put in more of the chipoltes. There wasnt much heat to it, tastes good though as is

OU812

Got it.

Thanks Steve.

I like a good thick, hot N spicy bean dip with Frito Scoops.

squirtthecat

This looks good...     Might start it in the AM in the pressure cooker to turbo cook the beans, then do the 2nd step in a foil pan in the smoker while ribs/etc. is smoking for dinner.

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on February 07, 2011, 05:50:56 PM

This looks good...     Might start it in the AM in the pressure cooker to turbo cook the beans, then do the 2nd step in a foil pan in the smoker while ribs/etc. is smoking for dinner.

What time is dinner?  ;D

steve-o

Quote from: OU812 on February 07, 2011, 05:14:28 PM
Got it.

Thanks Steve.

I followed that recipe exactly, and found it a bit runny, and when I did the part in the oven it took 90 mins, and was still a bit on the runny side, not too runny though. But maybe don't go crazy with the water on the beans when you are simmering it, like 1/2 inch of water and just add some more if you need it. If you like it on the thicker side

OU812

Quote from: steve-o on February 07, 2011, 06:07:39 PM
Quote from: OU812 on February 07, 2011, 05:14:28 PM
Got it.

Thanks Steve.

I followed that recipe exactly, and found it a bit runny, and when I did the part in the oven it took 90 mins, and was still a bit on the runny side, not too runny though. But maybe don't go crazy with the water on the beans when you are simmering it, like 1/2 inch of water and just add some more if you need it. If you like it on the thicker side

Will do.

As far as hot, you said it needs to be hotter.

Do you consitter Franks hot sauce hot?

I think Franks hot sauce is kinda mild.

Just tryin to get a perspective.

steve-o

The dish is definitly not as hot as Frank's(the chipolte puree is hotter than Franks if thats what you mean), my friend made a batch recently and he said he cut the brown sugar in half and doubled the chipoltes. If you want it hotter than Frank's i would double the chipoltes if not more. Another guy at work said he made it on the weekend and he said he put the whole can of chipoltes in. He likes hot, but I didnt ask him how hot it was. I think the recipe as is, is sweet with good flavor and next time I make it I probably would put in 4 tbls of chipoltes depending on who I am making it for. Let me know

OU812

Thanks for the info Steve.

I was compairing the dish to Franks for the hotness.  ;D

I'm sooooo makin this.

OU812

Ok, one more question.  ::)

How big of a can of tomato paste you talkin here. ;D

steve-o

Quote from: OU812 on February 10, 2011, 11:57:56 AM
Ok, one more question.  ::)

How big of a can of tomato paste you talkin here. ;D

Haha, sorry...I used a 6 oz can...said 156 ml on the can which i think works out to 6oz...the small can