• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie questions

Started by Walnuts15, February 09, 2011, 11:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnuts15

Hey just a couple quick questions for the experts.Im doing my first batch of deer jerky tonight and i think i have it figured out but im wondering if the cure that i have left in my HM original jerky kit can be used the same way with any homemade dry rub or wet marinate that i may want to try with my next batch?? And if the weight to cure ratio would still be the same? Thanks for any input.

DTAggie

Sorry I can't help you, but can't wait to see how it turns out.

devo

Quote from: DTAggie on February 09, 2011, 02:10:34 PM
Sorry I can't help you, but can't wait to see how it turns out.

No expert here for sure but I been reading lots about jerky. From what I can tell if you stick to the ratios that HM suggests you should be fine with a dry mix of your choice, but not to sure about a wet one. I was out and about today and stopped into a bulk store and they had a nice selection of dry rubs and was wondering the same thing. The only reason I was wondering that is because I ordered some jerky cure from HM too and thought hey maybe I can expand on what they are sending me.

steve-o

I am no expert either, but have read through alot of posts from the experts, if you mean instead of  the full ratio of HM you substitute in some of your own ingredients I would think that would be ok as long as you add cure #1 to the mix too. If you dont have that I would think you would be best to follow the ratio correctly, and just add whatever spices you'd like to it. But I am sure a pro will be along shortly

JF7FSU

The HM cure is not the same as Cure #1 (Pink Prague Salt).  The correct amount of Cure #1 is 1 tsp per 5lbs of meat. HM cure is 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon for 5 lbs of meat.  

I have used HM products and don't think they recommend using a wet marinade with their cure.  It is more of a  basic dry cure similar to Morton Tender Quick.

If you are using a wet marinade I think you should be using straight Pink Prague Salt (cure#1) and mix it in your liquid.   Someone else should be along shortly and will let you know if there are other options.

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

pikeman_95