Summer Sausage 16 lbs

Started by classicrockgriller, February 16, 2011, 12:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: pfowl01 on February 16, 2011, 06:16:13 PM
Sonny,
I know that is your home made smoker....but what was it originally?

Was an oven or proofer.

This is when I got it:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14749.0

This is where I did the work on it:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16686.0

dbondy

Man CRG they look great, now I want to make some more SS. ;D

wyoduke

Quote from: smoker pete on February 16, 2011, 06:28:49 PM
WOWZA Sonny ... That's a great load of SS  :o :o  If you have too many of them, you could always roll one my way ;D ;D
X2  ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

cobra6223

hey CRG, man those look awesome and now I really got the BUG  ;D, done summer sausage without casing but really wanna try some with , so here go the questions ,

1) what are the exact casing I would need , looked at the site you mention but looks greek to me and I don't see 1 1/2 x 20 casings ?
2) Do you ring both ends and then tie one end ?
3) what size rings do you use ?
Any other help and hints are greatly APPRECIATED !!! and lastly , yes my mouth is watering and my eyes are  bugging out just looking at yours and thinking about doing some !!! Thanks for all your help . Tim

OU812

classicrockgriller

Quote from: cobra6223 on February 17, 2011, 06:40:45 AM
hey CRG, man those look awesome and now I really got the BUG  ;D, done summer sausage without casing but really wanna try some with , so here go the questions ,

1) what are the exact casing I would need , looked at the site you mention but looks greek to me and I don't see 1 1/2 x 20 casings ?
2) Do you ring both ends and then tie one end ?
3) what size rings do you use ?
Any other help and hints are greatly APPRECIATED !!! and lastly , yes my mouth is watering and my eyes are  bugging out just looking at yours and thinking about doing some !!! Thanks for all your help . Tim

These are the casings.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/32_227/products_id/2984

You probably can buy 1 1/2 x 12" locally.

I ringed and put a knotted loop on the open end of the casing while it was still

dry with 3/8 hog rings. I then split them in half. These are fiborious casing and

have to be soaked in warm water for approx an hour before stuffing.

Stuffed them with approx 3/4 lb of stuffing and hog ring the open end again.

No hanging string this time.

I forgot to take these out and let run up to room temp, so I used a longer dry time.

I went 2 hrs at 120* with no smoke, 2 hrs at 130* no smoke. 3 hrs at 140* smoke applied

2 hrs at 150*, 2 hrs at 160*, then went to 170* till sausage reached 152* and that was at

3 this morn. Gave then a cool water bath to bring down the IT and a cpl hours to dry and

finish the bloom.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2011, 07:03:12 AM
Money shot?  ;D

Here Curt! ;D

On the 8lbs with Cheese and Jalapeno, I used 15 oz of reg. Coldby Jack cheese

and a McCormick bottle of dried dice Jalapeno. It probably needed more Jalapeno

and a little less cheese, but it is still good. This was also a dbl grind which I had

never done before.

Keymaster

That looks excellent Sonny, I think I'll try the cheese and Jalapenos next time :)

OU812

Most exellent!!

Maybe cut the cheese smaller next time?  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Sonny Sonny the sausage man
Hot Damn thats who i am  :D
AKA the pusher man

Looks great Sonny

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2011, 11:00:49 AM
Most exellent!!

Maybe cut the cheese smaller next time?  ;D

I cut them 1/8 to 1/4 cubes. Probably need to do a better job of separating/mixing them.

I am still Happy.

Wifey will love it for Pizzas.

jiggerjams

Yep those are definitely money shots all right. Get yourself a CRB and cheers yourself for a job well done!!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: jiggerjams on February 17, 2011, 11:17:21 AM
Yep those are definitely money shots all right. Get yourself a CRB and cheers yourself for a job well done!!

CR/DP for Me?  Thanks!

I'm doing it right now! ;D

Keymaster

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 17, 2011, 11:26:29 AM

CR/DP for Me?  Thanks!

Crown Royal/Diet Pepsi? Still a little early on the West side, The Booze bell might be a ringin here shortly ;D Tryin to figure out what I'm gonna smoke in the next four days off ???

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Keymaster on February 17, 2011, 11:41:50 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 17, 2011, 11:26:29 AM

CR/DP for Me?  Thanks!

Crown Royal/Diet Pepsi? Still a little early on the West side, The Booze bell might be a ringin here shortly ;D Tryin to figure out what I'm gonna smoke in the next four days off ???

Crown/DrPepper

Always been a Dr Pepper drinker.

Use to do Jack and Dr Peppers and called them PepperJacks.

4 days off? .... Smoke it all.