wow are sheep casings fragile

Started by don24, February 19, 2011, 07:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don24

im stuffing with sheep casings making hotdogs and wow are these things tearing.are they to fragile to hang from hooks to smoke or are they just strong enough.

Tenpoint5

Don it sounds like you may be stuffing them a little tight. Are they bursting when your stuffing or when you try to twist them? In either case you are probably over stuffing. Of course it just could be some thin casings. Natural casings all depend on the animal they came from.

Oh wait I know what it is. Its bad quality control on behalf of the manufacturer that packaged them and sent them to a store for you to purchase.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 19, 2011, 07:50:28 AM
Oh wait I know what it is. Its bad quality control on behalf of the manufacturer that packaged them and sent them to a store for you to purchase.

;D ;D ;D ;)

don24

will try to stuff less.it happens when im twisting and stuffing. thinking about pulling out the hog casings never had trouble there

Tenpoint5

Once you get about 5-6 inches of the casing filled. then just let it free slide off the horn with very little resistance. Then when you want to link instead of twisting use cotton string and tie like it you would if making snack sticks
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pikeman_95

I pinch the link until my fingers tough where I intend to twist it as they come off the horn. This way you do not over pressure the casing when you twist it. Then like ten point said you might just lighten up on the pressure a little. Pinching seems to work best though.

kirby

don24

ok ,ok,working a bit better.but man im done with sheep casings .nothing wrong with breakfast sausage the size of a kielbasa is there  maybe i will try colligen for small things .man i mixed up over ten pounds of meat and at 4 lbs im ready to burn these casings on an alter and dancing nak, ah never mind.but im soaking the hog casings now for the other 6pounds.

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RAF128

I've used sheep casing a number of times when making breakfast sausage.    Never had a problem.   I think you might have gotten a bad batch.  Only problem I have with sheep casings is they're way to expensive.

marauder11

Used them on my last breakfast sausage. Only problem i had was that they stuck to the stuffing tube once because i left them on at the end too long before i stuffed the last 2 pounds. Darn beer got in the way. I did like the tubed casings i had made it fast and easy to put them on the tube.