Zach's Maple Sugar Cure

Started by calatexmex, August 28, 2005, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calatexmex

I was looking on http://www.alliedkenco.com/cure.htm and saw maple sugar cure by Zach's. Has anybody here ever used this for jerky or sausage? It sounds good. I assume you would mix this with herbs and spices and add to meat.

Mike C

jaeger

calatexmex,
This is a mix really intended for a brine for hams, dried beef and poultry.
You could mix up some spices and mix with this for a jerky cure though personally I like to use premixes intended for this purpose and then adjust from there. You want to avoid using more cure than needed and the  premix will calculate how much to use for the amount of meat you are working with. You can always start with a premix as a base and then create a cajun, garlic, cracked pepper, red pepper etc....
Also....
I would not use this type of cure for sausage. The prague powder #1,speed cure, modern cure...something on this order is what you should use for a smoked sausage.
You could also contact a company called Butcher Packer or one of my favorites...High Mountain http://shop.himtnjerky.com/online/catalog/Brine-Mixes-p-1-c-252.html

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

calatexmex

Quote<i>Originally posted by jaeger</i>
<br /> The prague powder #1,speed cure, modern cure...something on this order is what you should use for a smoked sausage.
 one of my favorites...High Mountain

Thanks Jaeger I was just curious. I always use the modern cure (pink salt) for smoked sausage. I am also an avid user of High Mountain jerky cure. I am expecting a summer sausage kit, 2 buckboard bacon kits, and some Manderin jerky cure from High Mountain today. I can get most of the jerky cures at my local Bass Pro Shops but they don't have the BBB or Summer sausage kits from High Mountain. I also got some whole sirloin tips on sale $1.79 per lb. about 7 to 8 lbs a piece. Going to have a jerky party this week end. Whole mussle and ground.[8D]
Thanks again
Mike C

MallardWacker

Thanks, GREAT SITE!.  Has some great selections and very informative..  Never new Morton had a sugar cure.

That is a lot cure. I guess if you are brining/pump you need that much.  A pound of that stuff will go along way.  I get my cure from Butcher-Packer a pound at a time.  The Maple cure is great.  I wonder if might just come from the same place.  You can tell it has been repackaged.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

calatexmex

I've made plenty of orders from Alied Kenco. Good people to deal with. Alot of good stuff.

Mike C

MallardWacker

Cal,

That was going to be my next question, thanks for answering it for me.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

rexster

I know this is a VERY old topic, but feel like it needs updating. I've been in contact with Zach's which is located in Deer Park, Tx and they don't offer this stuff anymore and is not on their website. The information they gave me is they do have a sweet and extra sweet cure, but you have to call them direct to get it.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

mikecorn.1

I like Zacks products. Only place I can get them is in the HEB PLUS in pearland or they carry some in LJ at a Food King Supermarket. Only in 1lb packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

rexster

They have a good online store for some of the stuff that Food King doesn't carry. I like the sweet rub for pork.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

mikecorn.1

Quote from: rexster on May 18, 2012, 07:39:19 AM
They have a good online store for some of the stuff that Food King doesn't carry. I like the sweet rub for pork.
I have the grilling spice, brisket rub, sweet rub and hickory rub :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike