Pulled Beef??

Started by MWS, August 28, 2005, 06:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWS

I just bought a bone in beef shoulder roast (chuck). I wonder, could I treat this like a pork shoulder and pull the meat when done? I was planning on a dry rub and then smoking with pecan for 4 hours. At this point I would empty and replace the water bowl, then wrap the roast in foil with a splash of apple juice and continue to cook till IT = 190+F. Has anyone tried this? If it works like I think it should, then I'm in for some mighty fine sandwiches for work. Thanks for any comments or suggestions on this cut of meat. I will probably start it on Tuesday.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

nsxbill

What the heck, give it a try.  Don't know if it has as high a fat content as pork to allow pulling, but chuck roasts cooked for lengthy time in slow cooker would pull, so don't know why your roast wouldn't do the same.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Let us know how it turns out... I'm interested.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

calatexmex

BigSmoker

I think it will work fine.  Should be like smokey pot roast I would think.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I think it will work fine.  Should be like smokey pot roast I would think.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Or like brisket. There is a BBQ place about 20 miles from me, and when you order a brisket sandwich he doesn't slice, he pulls the meat apart.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MWS

The chuck roast pulled....I smoked it for 4 hours with pecan @ 215F. Then I placed the roast in an aluminum pan, added 1/2 cup of beer (stout) and covered the pan with foil. I placed the pan back in the smoker for another 5 hours till the IT read 200F. I removed the roast and let it sit for 20 mins (I was hungry). That baby just fell apart when I went to pull it. A great success..[:D] I also had about 1 1/2 cups of 'juice' for dipping or making gravy. The smoke flavour was nicely pronounced throughout the meat and the gravy is superb with the stout and smoke flavours. I'll be doing this again for sure.

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

nsxbill

Mike,

Sounds great! Thanks for being the Guinea Pig and trying it!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Brabus

Chuck roast sounds like a good plan :) maybe less potent of a taste than brisket.

Oldman

Mike I got one extra brisket flat I was wondering what to do with.... I wonder if I can pull something like this off with it. Perhaps with the beer I could add some rendered beef fat for more flavoring.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Ok update on the idea from mws.

I took part of my smoked brisket--it is cooked for slicing--placed it into a glass baking dish. Added about 1/2 bottle of beer and a good 1/3 cup of BBQ sauce. Covered the dish and placed in 325 F oven. One hour or so later and all I can say is

<b><font color="blue"><font size="4">Man O Man what a sandwich this makes!</font id="size4"> </font id="blue"></b> There was a little grease as this was the large end and I did not cut out the fat. So I just place two paper towels on it to soak up the grease....

Wow going back for another one... [:D]

Olds

MWS

I hope you used the juices for dipping those sandwiches....MMmmmm MMmm [:D]

-John Wayne

Mike 

car54

Mike,

I plan on doing this next week. How much bark was created if any because of the foil? Also can you taste the stout in the meat or sauce?

Brad

MWS

Brad,

There is a bark after the 4 hour initial smoke, due to the heavy rub I placed on the roast. The flavors really take off after I add the stout and place it in a pan with foil. The braising really spreads the smoke flavor throughout the meat. The stout adds a sweet, roasted almost mollasses like subtle flavor to the sauce. Add the smoke and juices from the roast and I'm talking one heck of a dipping sauce [:p]. I have done this twice now. I sliced instead of pulled the second time with equally satisfying results. I like the chuck roast better than the briskets I've been able to get up here. There's more fat content for a more tender result.

-John Wayne

Mike 

Mikey

Hey NXSBILL, speaking of Guinea pigs, has anyone tried pulled Guinea pig. Just kidding, well maybe not, you could call it sqeakin jerky.