Fuel Tank Smoker

Started by wvben, February 27, 2011, 06:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvben

Hello all.  My name is Ben and I'm new to the forum.

I have an aluminum fuel tank from a Mack truck that I was planning on using, along with a Bradley smoke generator, as a platform for my smoker.  Looking through this forum & others, I don't see many references to aluminum being used for this.  I have no doubts that I can get the tank clean.  Just wondering if anybody sees any issues with using this tank?  Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.  By the way dimensions  of the tank are approximately 5'l x 24"d.

muebe

I cannot imagine why that would not work. People have used a cardboard box with a Bradley generator to smoke with. So what will be your source of heat for the smoker? Charcoal? or an electric heating element? Did you plan on the smoke generator being located outside of the tank and have a hose carry the smoke to it? or have the generator inside the tank housing? Just some things to think about for your build....
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

OU812

The first thing that comes to mind is keeping the cooking chamber hot.

The aluminum will absorb the heat and quickly disperse it, unlike steel which acts like a heat sink.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck.

SouthernSmoked

I agree with OU812. That was my first thought.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

wvben

The heat transfer of the aluminum had crossed my mind also.  I'm still in the planning stages and this is my first build.  I've always used my grill and have been wanting to step up without much $$.  55 Gallon UDS is starting to cross my mind.

beefmann

aluminum is used in electronics to disperse heat and on trucks to make them lighter, if it is to be used in a cold smoke process you  should be fine, to cook with , you might have a hard time keeping the  heat up.

unclebuck

A friend of mine tried it, however, even after steaming it several times, the smell of diesel still prevailed.  He scrapped the idea.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Cleaver

I steam full sized fuel tankers.  And there is no trouble with steaming it.  And it will be clean. 
Where people run into trouble is older patched tanks.  They trap fuel between the patch and hole.
This area is what the problem will be from.  Newer tank and all will be good.  Just make sure to
remove all fittings and get it steamed not just hot water washed.