• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question About Curing and Ribs

Started by bubbagump, August 31, 2005, 04:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning on smoking some baby back ribs this weekend and was wondering if they need to be cured or not. I've read a number of posts about ribs and haven't seen any mention of brines or curing. I'm still not real clear on what needs to be cured and what doesn't.

I plan to follow the advice of a previous post and put a rub on them, then smoking them for four hours, after that into foil with a little apple juice for another 2 hours. What's next? I've read about FTC, how long do I keep them wrapped after the initial 6 hours? Is 200 a good temp.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

jaeger

bubbagump,
A cure brine would be more likely used for a ham or smoked turkey or dried beef. The cure is what gives the ham the pink color. Another type of cure would be used for ground meat/sausage.
I would not use a cure on ribs.
You could put the ribs in a marinade, though I think a good rib rub and a good smoke are more than enough. Times and temps will vary though for the average amount I think you will be ready to eat at the six hour mark. Here is a really good link on ribs. Also check out the Olds Members recipe link.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Ribs
I will give it a bump as it is a really good topic!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

nsxbill

BG

I have done my fair share of ribs, and they are different everytime.  I have finally settled on BB ribs I get from the military comissary.  They have Swift Premium @$1.98 a pound.  Killer price and killer ribs.

Usually I vacuum marinate in Reveo in marinade of Wishbone Italian dressing with a little Rocky's and some Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom rub.  With the vacuum marinade, I only have to marinate for 20 minutes.    I typically just leave them in the cannister overnight.  

While preheating the smoker as high as it will go for an hour, I hang the ribs inside from rack after a dusting of Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.   Usually 5 sides cut in half smoke 4 hours.  I let the temps climb towards 167°F internal temp cooking at box temp of 205-210°F.

I then take out of the smoker when internal temp is reached.  I remove and wrap in saran, add 1/8 cup of apple juice, and sometimes will paint with some BBQ sauce...most times Sweet Baby Rays.  I foil them up, and put into oven in individual packs at 200 for about an hour.

Out they come, into heavy towel, and into Coleman cooler for a couple of hours.  

They are like butter they are so tender.  

It is just the way I like to do them.  You can rub only and just let sit in refer overnight without marinade.  This is just my tested and proven method.  

I use a Procom4 and Raptor controller to manage the temps for me, and only open the box to change out the water after 4 hours.  I typically use thick bacon on each side of hooks the ribs hang from to add more flavor to the ribs while they are cooking.  The Procom4 keeps the temp consistent, and remotely tells me when internal temp is reached.

Never a complaint.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bubbagump

I did check the members recipe link but didn't find much that discussed ribs.

I'll do as I planned and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies!

Bubbagump

Bad Flynch

Morton's Tender-Quick can be used as a rub to cure ribs. The ribs will taste just fine and be a little ham-like. Morton's Salt has a small book you can buy on butchering, processing, and curing meat which you can buy. It is quite cheap and has the rib recipe.

If you cure your ribs, it will leave them slightly salty. How salty depends on how much rub you use and for how long. At any rate, start low and work up: maybe half of what Mortons recommends at first, or maybe for half the time. Then use a sweet barbeque sauce, either by basting or at the table. The sweet barbeque sauce should compliment the salty taste of the ribs--sort of like a sweet glaze on a ham at New Year's dinner.

B.F.
B.F.

jaeger

bubbagump,
Check out Ribs topic in the Meat Forum. Lots of discussion on ribs.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=161

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

bubbagump

You're right Doug, lots of good info.

Thanks!

Bubbagump