• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Durability

Started by sameguy, September 01, 2005, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sameguy

Hi all, this is  my first post, although I've been lurking for many days here and learning a lot.  I just saw the BS in person for the first time last night, needless to say I was very impressed with the solid build, fit and finish, etc.  I've been thinking about it so much lately, I even had a dream about it last night, really.  I think I might need therapy, but that is a different forum.  Anyway, I'm planning on picking one up this weekend but would like to know what you veteran users think about it's durability.  I can deal with replacing a part here and there every few years, that's no big deal.  I am wondering who has the oldest unrepaired BS and how old it is.  Looking forward to lots of good smoking and some new friends.

Same

"smoke em if ya got em"

MallardWacker

First of all welcome.  Mine is at 20 months and consider my self an active smoker, I can honestly say I easily average 2.5567 times a month.

The only thing I see that has happened to my BS is that the paint is flaking a little around the vent area, under the damper.  I have lost a screw in the bottom plastic cover but all in all I would recommend one in a minute, even to my mother.

Things I would watch for, keep your BS vented enough to let out moisture.  Moisture build up is not good.  Don't worry things do not get dried out.  But you can't make it in a steam bath.  Also this is "low and slow" type deal, it is not an oven, you don't bake in it-you slow smoke stuff.  

When you buy a BS you have something in your mind that you want to use it for but the surprise is the things you were not planning on using it for that makes it special.  Some of my surprises has been things like Smoked Onion Soup, I make my own Bacon (there's plenty of folks that do that), stuffed Jalapenos and Pablanos, and smoked ingredients that I put in baked beans.  I hate salmon, but after reading what these folks do with it I am almost to incline.

Plus this forum is got to be the jimmies, you will only get good JuJu from around here.

If you have any other questions let the fire. If you are considering a [}:)]<font color="red"><s>cookshack</s></font id="red">[}:)], bottom line is DON'T.  It may be built like tank but it is closed system that in their smaller models do not have a vent and strange exterior messy drip pans. This will contribute to the "rubbery chicken skin syndrome" and "black goo" (their words not mine)dripping onto your product.  Such things like weighing wood and incosistant smoke flavor is just a few hazards you will have with that smoker.  Hay, anyone can make something burn wood out of a electric charcoal starter.

I bring up the wood, with the BS you will have THE MOST COSISTANT wood flavor of any smoker out there.  Yes it does coast some money, but it ain't much for the ease of use and consistent flavor.

OK let me pull my head out of the sand.  Yes there has been a few problems.  But I will tell you this there is not a better customer service in the world than the folks at Bradley, PERIOD.  Even compared to the above for mentioned competitor.  You will be in safe hands if when you buy a Bradley.  If you do buy one, consider buying it from <font color="blue">Chez Bubba</font id="blue">.  Kirk and his wife will only treat you better than Bradley, plus he's a great guy.

Hope to see you posting some pics with your Bradley.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

owrstrich

i haul my bs around in a work trailer... it now has 70k miles on it...

its been shipped by ground once and by planeonce as checked luggage...

its all beat up and dented and scraped up from the wondermous cali freeway system and from hauling it up down stair cases and general rough handling...

its 100% all the time... the only way to go when on the go...

more later...

owrstrich

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

Like anything that is man made. You can have a problem with it. Would I trade mine for anything else... NOPE!  The Bradley IMO is the best refinded smoker for the monies spent. Are there better longer lasting units? Yes of course there are. Generally the entry level cost for one of them is in the thousands of dollars.

For $330.00 you can get a new standard unit from Chez with a 60 puck pack of various woods.  After that if you purchase from him you will get a 10% discount on all future puck purchases.

I also suggest if you do business with him you call him direct and save yourself those addon charges of payPal. Plus make sure to get 3 bubba pucks.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Hi SG--welcome to the Forum!

I second the advice from MW and Olds to consider purchasing from Chez.

I've only had my BS for 9 months, but with the exception of the past 3 weeks when I've been on vaca, I've been a smokin' fool, putting probably  20-25 hours per week on it.  I'm pretty much a slob about cleaning it, too, but it's worked flawlessly for somewhere in the neighborhood of 800+ hours now (however, no miles--Owstrich probably holds the record for that!).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bgfntk

I've been looking for a smoker for about a year, and finally decided on the Bradley. I just ordered mine from Chez on Friday, and they gave me the 10% off on the briquettes I ordered as well. They are very helpfull, and told me to call at any time if I had a problem or a question. Needless to say, they secured my business.

Now I'm just hoping the smoker comes in next week, so I can start experimenting next weekend.

I appreciate everyone's post on these forums. You helped lock up my decision on the Bradley and where to buy.

Scott

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bgfntk</i>
<br />
Now I'm just hoping the smoker comes in next week, so I can start experimenting next weekend.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No worries mate. Chez will have your BS in your hands before you know it. I ordered mine on an Monday and recieved it by Wednesday. [:D]

Mike C

Oldman

Welcome Scott,
As stated, service from Chez is second to none! I hope you got 3 Bubba pucks at well~~! If not then call Chez and get them!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

bgfntk

Oldman,

I did order one Bubba Pack. It was like pulling teeth to get the Sargeant Major to let me order the smoker, let alone an bunch of bisquettes. I figure she will warm up to it once we have somthing for her to sink her teeth into. [:D] But I'll be ordering more as soon as the smoker comes in.

Scott

Scott

bgfntk

Oldman,

Sorry, engaged brain before keyboard. I didn't order any Bubba Pucks, but I have read about them in the last few days. I think I'll be ordering those with my first refill order on the bisquettes.

Scott

Scott

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bgfntk</i>
<br />..... It was like pulling teeth to get the Sargeant Major to let me order the smoker, let alone an bunch of bisquettes......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I can testify, she will get over it AND fairly fast.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Sauce Bauce

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />Like anything that is man made. You can have a problem with it. Would I trade mine for anything else... NOPE!  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="3"><font color="maroon">I agree 100%.  I am in the process of a smoke now and went out to remove the water pan to change water and the door was stuck to the cabinet.  I urged it a little and the gasket tore away from the bottom and right side of the door.  Made me sick.  Just called Bradley and they are sending me a new gasket under warranty.  I have never had a problem with the gasket in the past but I got industrious this week and knowing I was going to do some smoking I cleaned the outside of the cabinet and used some Fantastik to clean the gaskets and then wiped them clean with fresh water.  Evidently it didn't like the cleaner.

I should have just left it crudy and kept the trays and pans clean and smoked on.

As I have seen many many times here, the Bradley service is excellent!

Sauce Bauce
Don</font id="maroon"></font id="size3"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Oldman

Hey Don good to see ya posting. Hope all is good. Now I cheat. When I clean my gasket I leave the door open and when I go to smoke I spray it down with a little Pam first. [:I]

Olds